As a Specialized Skills Officer (SSO) for the CIA, you will join a cadre of results oriented professionals who accept significant responsibilities and embrace accountability for results. SSOs conduct and/or directly support CIA operations by leveraging technical skills in either specialized military fields and/or experience in media, communications, marketing, advertising, issue advocacy, crisis management, or technology development. These skills and experiences often include aviation, maritime, psychological operations, civil affairs and information operations. SSOs are a distinct occupation in the Directorate of Operations (DO) and play a unique role in support of intelligence operations for U.S. policymakers, support to Covert Action programs at the direction of President of the United States, and facilitate CIA's Covert Action infrastructure.
All DO officers are hired at an entry level and train as they are expected to work - as one team. DO officers begin their careers spending one to two years learning the foundations of clandestine operational tradecraft via classroom training, practical exercise, and on-the-job experience. You must successfully complete this required foundational training.
SSOs serve primarily at CIA Headquarters, but there are frequent opportunities for temporary duty travel and/or assignments overseas.
As part of the program, some DO officers will be expected to:
- Operate a motor vehicle without second-party assistance in daytime and nighttime conditions
- Traverse uneven terrain, to include climbing and descending staircases, over fixed minimum distances and in varying weather conditions
- Work non-traditional or erratic schedules
- Make reasoned decisions under time constraints
This position requires a 5-year Contract Term Agreement. RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be physically in the United States or one of its territories when you submit your resume via MyLINK.
- You must be registered for the Selective Service, if applicable.
- You must be a U.S. citizen and at least 18 years of age (dual-national US citizens are eligible).
- You must be willing to move to the Washington, DC area.
- You must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview, and a comprehensive background investigation.
- For further information, please visit: https://www.cia.gov/careers/how-we-hire/
- Personal integrity
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written)
- Action- and results-oriented
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as work independently
- Flexibility, adaptability, and commitment to the mission of the CIA and the Directorate of Operations
- Ability to meet the minimum requirements for joining CIA , including U.S. citizenship and a background investigation
- Competitive Specialized Skills Officer applicants have knowledge and/or experience in any one of the following categories:
- Social media, marketing, advertising, public relations, issue advocacy, crisis communication, or technology development
- Business, finance, r legal fields
- Military psychological operations and/or civil affairs
- Merchant Marine/Commercial Maritime industries and/or military nautical experience
- Commercial and/or military diving and underwater experience
- Military aviation career fields such as:
- Pilot (fixed wing, rotary wing, manned/unmanned)
- Flight engineer
- Crew chief/mechanic
- Avionics technician
- Mission sensor operator
- Forward air controller
- Special tactics squadron
- Aviatin foreign internal defense
- Counterintelligence experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution (applicants within one year of earning a four year degree will be considered); there is no preferred major or program of study (degrees from foreign academic institutions are accepted, but you are responsible for obtaining and providing CIA with a credential evaluation from an accredited firm confirming that the foreign degree is the equivalent of a BA/BS and/or MA/MS degree conferred by a U.S. college or university)
- At least a 3.0 GPA on a 4-point scale is preferred