Job Announcement$5,000 Signing Bonus*
Are you interested in building the world you live in?
The Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES) seeks a Project Engineer to aid in the implementation of all major building projects identified in the Fairfax County Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
DPWES is a diverse, nationally-accredited and award-winning public works agency with approximately 1,000 employees providing solid waste, capital facility development, wastewater, stormwater, urban forestry, and land acquisition management services for the most populous county in Virginia. Join our team to help us protect the environment and serve the people of Fairfax County by creating and preserving a sustainable community that is an ideal place to live, work, and play for everyone.
Fairfax County Government is committed to our employees, and offers comprehensive benefits, including a defined-benefit retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; paid leave; tuition reimbursement; and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. Through our LiveWell Program and the County Benefits Division, we endeavor to cultivate a culture of wellbeing that empowers, educates and engages employees and retirees to make life-long choices that promote a holistic approach to their physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual and financial wellness. Please review our awesome benefits:
The Building Design and Construction Division is an award-winning organization responsible for implementing all major building, renovation and major capital renewal projects identified in the Fairfax County Capital Improvement Program, including fire stations, libraries, courts, police stations, office buildings, maintenance facilities, parking structures, human services facilities and other major infrastructure and public-private partnership projects.
The BDCD Building Construction Branch (BCB) Project Engineer (Engineer/Architect) will be responsible for the following:
*A $5,000 signing bonus is available to new county employees hired in the Senior Engineer III position.Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- BCB Project Engineers fill a leadership role primarily responsible for all aspects of construction contract administration for BDCD projects including scope compliance, schedule conformance, cost control, quality control/quality assurance, record keeping, communication, safety, and reporting.
- Serves as a primary point of contact with construction contractors, regulatory authorities, and other Fairfax County agencies as required.
- Authors, issues, and maintains all project related correspondence/documentation.
- Administrates the pre-bid prequalification process for prospective bidders, prepares final bid documents including editing specifications and appendices, conducts pre-bid meetings, and manages bidding process.
- Prepares documentation for contract award and maintains all project records and documentation.
- Must be able to read, understand, and edit construction plans, specifications, codes, and guidelines for construction.
- Must be computer proficient including use of email, spreadsheets, and internet use to conduct research for construction costs, products, codes, and other topics as necessary.
- Conducts construction progress meetings, reviews and approves contractor payments, reviews proposed change orders for entitlement, prepares cost estimates, negotiates change orders, reviews shop drawings, ensures timely and appropriate RFI responses, and issues field orders and requests for proposal.
- Routinely drives County vehicle to jobsites to ensure construction QC and conformance to construction documents.
- Ensures compliance with CPM schedule progress, milestones, and sequence of work.
- Coordinates all aspects of project close-out activities, including but not limited to, punch lists, training, O&M/As-builts, bond/permit release, final completion, and end of warranty inspections.
- Able to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment and provide outstanding customer service to using agencies and project stakeholders.
- Stays abreast of technical codes, safety regulations, and industry guidelines.
- Provides leadership by promoting communication, teamwork, and collaboration within their project(s), the division, and other agencies inside and outside Capital Facilities.
- Candidates must have excellent writing, presenting, and verbal communication skills.
- This role may be required to provide guidance, supervision, or mentorship for new/junior staff.
- Participates and chairs project, departmental, and partnering meetings at the jobsite, Fairfax Government Center, and other locations as necessary.
- This position may currently telework 3 days per week after an introductory period. Candidates must note that Telework is subject to change in accordance with updates to the applicable Fairfax County policies. Such policy changes may increase, decrease, or eliminate teleworking privileges.
- Learn about us.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field. CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license.
An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity.
Please note that if the selected candidate is licensed in another state, they will be required to obtain a Virginia PE or RA license through the reciprocity process within twelve (12) months of the award letter date as a condition of employment.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 4 years of experience administering and managing construction contracts for capital improvement projects ranging from small renovations and upgrades to new stand-alone facilities.
- At least 3 years of professional experience applying local, federal, and state building and site development codes.
- Advanced professional certification related to construction administration such as Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Construction Management (CCM) or LEED Professional.
Ability to lift 30 pounds overhead. Ability to participate in and understand verbal conversations at typical speaking volume and pace as well as respond to audio alarms and verbal warnings on construction sites, over the phone, and in the office workplace. Ability to read, understand, and produce written and typed documents. Ability to use computers/computer software for communication, report generation, electronic file-keeping, project metrics analysis, and project tracking purposes. Able to safely climb ladders up to 20 feet per floor with the potential of multiple floors and able to go up and down stairs for multi-story buildings. Must be able to physically negotiate rough terrain and typical construction site conditions to perform inspections at jobsites, vendor/fabrication facilities, or potential future jobsites. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.NOTE:
Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position(s) have been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.BONUS ELIGIBILITY:
Positions within this classification that are general merit may be eligible for a one-time hiring incentive bonus for new county employees only. This bonus program requires a signed payback agreement between the department and employee.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov