Join the Park Authority and our nationally recognized team of professionals! The Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) is seeking Maintenance Crew Chief to be a part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With more than 25,000 acres of parkland, nine RECenters, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level.
Supervises and participates in the work of an assigned athletic field maintenance crew. Inspects and completes maintenance of athletic fields, or other park facilities; prepares diamond fields daily, inspecting and making minor repairs on synthetic turf fields, marking fields, checking facilities and site-amenities for damage, and making necessary repairs. Determines and lists materials, tools and equipment needed to complete daily assignments. Uses gas powered equipment. Inspects and operates tractors, loaders, groomers, utility vehicles, all with attachments and other equipment, and hauls equipment and materials. Uses walk-behind and hand-held power equipment. Informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Completes required documentation and daily work reports. Removes debris and litter from athletic fields and ancillary facilities. Operates a county-owned assigned truck and trailer. Participates in snow removal and de-icing operations. Supervises, evaluates, and ensures that staff has been trained in and follows safety requirements for equipment operations and maintenance procedures. May also complete maintenance on playgrounds, athletic courts, trails, picnic areas, and other park amenities as needed. Note:
This position DOES NOT require a CDL. Reports each morning to Area 2, 8116 Braddock Road, Annandale, VA 22003 and is dispatched to assigned parks.
Work hours are 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, with overtime required when necessary. Occasional weekend, evening, and holiday work required. Positions are subject to transfer to other maintenance operation locations. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Leads, inspects, and reviews the work of a crew engaged in a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and/or construction activities;
- Inspects projects in progress and upon completion;
- Contacts county residents regarding complaints and other issues;
- Advises residents of county responsibility and refers them to the proper authority when appropriate;
- Estimates the amount of material to be used on a job;
- Prepares reports;
- Leads and participates in a variety of sewer maintenance work;
- Leads the flushing of storm sewers and catch basins;
- Leads and/or participates in the building of walks, curbs, and gutters;
- Ensures that crew members have been trained in the proper use of equipment;
- Ensures that safety procedures are followed;
- Assists crew members in the operation of various types of trucks and equipment such as flat-bed trucks, utility bucket trucks, snowplows or spreaders, combination vacs, rodders, and extendajets;
- Responds to emergency situations including snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies;
- Monitors and reports complaints;
- In absence of the supervisor, performs duties of dispatching crews, preparing work orders, entering on-line time and attendance reports, preparing accident reports, addressing citizen complaints, etc.;
- May assist in preparing safety tailgate topics for crews and presenting safety topics at meetings;
- Leads field inspection team of sanitary sewer, storm drainage systems, and stormwater management facilities in identifying maintenance items based upon established level of service;
- Verifies and corrects locations of stormwater drainage systems and facilities on GIS map;
- Inspects and reviews the work of crews engaged in a variety of maintenance and construction activities;
- Oversees and is engaged in the work of assigned crews;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Working knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment commonly used in the maintenance and construction of sanitary sewers, walk ways, roads, lawns, parks, etc.;
- Knowledge of common hazards and safety precautions;
- Working knowledge of safety codes;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and materials pertinent to the construction and maintenance trades;
- Ability to follow and interpret written instructions, diagrams, location maps, blueprints, and manufacturers' manuals;
- Ability to follow and relay oral instructions to labor crew in performance of work orders;
- Ability to organize and make oral presentations of safety topics and field operating guidelines at tailgate meetings;
- Ability to accurately estimate time and material needs, determine when repair is not economically practical, and perform routine clerical tasks and arithmetical computations;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to retrieve, modify, and print computer documents on a computer;
- Ability to lead a crew in the performance of their duties;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, and high levels of dust;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees, and supervisors.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to") Graduation from high school or possession of a GED. issued by a state department of education; and two years of experience in maintenance, construction, or a related field.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- At least two years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to operate hand-held, walk-behind and riding grounds maintenance equipment such as string trimmers, sod cutters and utility tractors with implements.
- Maintenance of irrigation systems.
- At least three years of maintenance, construction, or related experience.
- Experience with equipment such as: skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, and infield conditioners.
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed trimmers, edger's, blowers, sod cutters.
- At least three years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors, and landscape equipment.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a Virginia Registered Tech Pesticide Applicator Certificate or Commercial Applicator (categories 3A Ornamental Pest Control, 3B Turf, and/or 6 Right-of Way Pest Control).
Driver's license (required)NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record to the satisfaction of the employer.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to bend, twist, turn, stand, sit, and stoop. Ability to lift 50 pounds regularly, and work in variable weather conditions performing physical labor. Ability to operate grounds equipment.
Ability to operate motor vehicle and trailer. Ability to traverse uneven ground. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314.DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov