The Fairfax County Department of Economic Initiatives seeks an experienced leader to manage the department’s operations, ensure programs and activities are delivered efficiently and effectively, and under the general direction of the Director help develop solutions to economic development challenges or opportunities. Broad duties of this position include: overseeing administrative and operational functions, including fiscal oversight and human resources; developing performance measures and monitoring of the departments program and strategic goals, including alignment with the Countywide Strategic Plan; managing cross-division areas of support and operations division staff supervision.
The Department of Economic Initiatives develops programs and policy recommendations to foster local economic development and position Fairfax County to be an economically competitive and prosperous community. The department is structured into three divisions, which include Catalytic Development, Small and Local Business, and Economic Innovation and Strategy.
Specific duties include:
- Manages the operations of the department and leads in planning activities to accomplish the mission of the department. Assists the director in developing and managing the department’s operating budget and operating funds. Directs procurement, contracts administration, and materials management programs to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Together with the director, mobilizes, monitors and reports on department priorities and projects. Ensures department strategies and performance metrics are executed, updated and reported. Reviews and aligns department strategies with countywide and other priority strategies, monitors and reports progress towards strategic goals.
- Partners with the director and division managers to support staff professional growth and promote departmental values. Collaborates internally and with partners to identify economic development opportunities and challenges and works across divisions to develop solutions.
- Supervises operations, business process and communications staff. Supports or leads other complex projects based on specialization and department needs. Represents the agency with internal and external organizations.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Manages the operations of the department and leads in planning activities to accomplish the mission of the department;
- Assists the director in planning and managing the development and presentation of the department’s operating budget;
- Leads other department operations including contracts and procurement, processes and procedures, reporting, and human resources;
- Directs procurement, contracts administration, and materials management programs to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies;
- Together with the director, mobilizes, monitors and reports on department priorities and projects;
- Ensures department strategies and performance metrics are executed, updated and reported;
- Reviews and aligns department strategies with countywide and other priority strategies, monitors and reports progress towards strategic goals;
- Partners with the director and division managers to support staff professional growth, establish and promote departmental values;
- Supervises operations, business process and communications staff;
- Supports other complex projects based on specialization and department needs;
- Represents the agency with internal and external organizations, and oversees and supports program marketing, communication, and public outreach efforts.
( The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of public administration, economic development, project management;
- Thorough knowledge of County organization, policy, procedures and practices;
- Advanced knowledge of the County's mission, goals, objectives and organizational structure;
- Advanced knowledge of federal, state and County laws, ordinances, rules, regulations, practices and procedures governing aspects of one of the defined critical areas for the department;
- Advanced knowledge of human resources and management practices;
- Ability to plan, formulate, and execute policies and programs;
- Ability to explain and interpret county regulations, rules and policies to individuals and groups, in order to gain compliance, cooperation, and understanding;
- Ability to effectively supervise and develop professional and administrative staff;
- Ability to identify and recommend solutions to solve complex business issues;
- Ability to set priorities and manage changing requirements for self and others;
- Ability to establish effective, cooperative working relationships with a variety of county and external stakeholders;
- Ability to build a cohesive team by promoting commitment, fostering strong relationships between team members, facilitating common understanding, using strengths of team members, and valuing all members' contributions;
- Ability to motivate others towards completion of a goal;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to prepare and present high-level presentations;
- Ability to manage and guide organizational change.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in urban planning, economics, public administration, business administration or a related field plus six years of progressively responsible professional level experience in economic or community development, business administration or closely related field to include three years of supervisory experience. CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A valid motor vehicle driver's license.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ten or more years of demonstrated technical experience in business or public administration and/or a functional area of the department including public-private real estate partnerships, small business and entrepreneurial development, community development and innovation-based economic development.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated experience leading a diverse team including programmatic and administrative staff to achieve a collaborative, engaged, and positive workplace culture with a high standard of performance and professionalism.
- Ability to handle complex problems encountered using knowledge acquired through training and experience, and the ability to carry out complex assignments independently and make decisions based on established law, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, department officials, outside agencies, employees, and the general public.
- Thorough knowledge of the funding process in a municipal environment as related to budgeting, financial planning and management.
Job is generally sedentary in nature, however, visual acuity is required to read data on computer monitor, incumbent must be able to operate keyboard driven equipment. Employee may be required to lift up to 15 pounds. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov