Manages and supervises page department of a community library. Serves as person-in-charge as needed. Serves on branch management team. Responds to the needs of library customers and resolves customer issues. Performs all essential circulation and support duties. Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of Fairfax County Public Library.Note
: This job announcement may be used to fill future full-time Community Page Manager (Library Assistant I) vacancies.Salary
: The selected applicant's starting salary will be in the minimum to midpoint range ($43,498 to $57,996.43) of the advertised compensation range. Compensation rules apply per Fairfax County personnel regulations for current Fairfax County Government and Fairfax County Public Schools employees.Schedule
: Scheduling flexibility is imperative. Standard hours may include day and/or evening hours to include weekdays and weekends as assigned. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the library.
To learn more about a career with Fairfax County Public Library, watch our video " Library Staff Share Why They Love Working at the Library
" Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Assists in the management of the circulation department;
- Interviews, selects, trains and evaluates the performance of subordinates and volunteers;
- Serves as manager-in-charge of circulation department as required;
- Communicates circulation policies and procedures;
- Resolves non-routine circulation problems and clients' account issues, referring as appropriate;
- Performs all general public service circulation duties and support tasks;
- Serves as a member of the Branch Management Team;
- May schedule staff and plan workflow to ensure adequate coverage;
- May serve as branch Person-In-Charge;
- May assist with outreach and other library programs;
- Manages the page department of a small of mid-size library (community library);
- Prepares daily and biweekly page schedules, ensuring efficient branch coverage;
- Serves as volunteer coordinator.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others;
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgment and initiative;
- Ability to deal with stressful situations and difficult customers;
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures;
- Ability to work independently within established policies, procedures, and guidelines;
- Ability to evaluate procedures and recommend improvements;
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend solutions;
- Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others;
- Ability to effectively train others;
- Ability to learn and independently use office equipment, including software suites and
- specialized databases;
- Ability to operate a library's automated circulation system;
- Knowledge of word processing and computer applications;
- Ability to adapt to workplace change;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation;
- Ability to sort alphabetically and numerically;
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic.
High school graduation or possession of a GED issued by a state department of education; plus, two years of full-time experience or the equivalent amount of part-time library or customer service experience.CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Not applicable.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and Child Protective Services Registry check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- One or more years of experience working or volunteering in a library.
- One or more years of experience supervising and training staff.
- Detail-oriented; and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees and the general public.
- Experience working in a team-based environment.
Ability to lift up to 15 pounds. Ability to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to perform repetitive hand, arm, wrist and shoulder movements. Ability to stand for 2 hours at a time. Ability to shelve materials at all height levels. Ability to stoop, bend, reach, squat, and kneel. Ability to travel to various locations throughout Fairfax County to provide coverage, attend meetings and trainings. Physical requirements are applicable to all duties. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book bins filled at 90% capacity, requiring 20 pounds of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 10 pounds after initial acceleration. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book carts filled at 70% capacity, requiring 14 pounds of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 7 pounds after initial acceleration. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov