The Secondary Advanced Academic Services (AAS) Instructional Specialist will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the secondary gifted services and the Young Scholars model. In addition, the specialist will work in unison with the Director of Advanced Academics Services to assist with the administration of AAS programs for screening, referral, identification, and placement of elementary students in AAS services or Young Scholars. The person will provide regular, school-based instructional support and professional learning to ensure alignment of written and taught curriculum at the secondary level. In addition, the person will work closely with the central office instructional staff, other school personnel, parents, and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established district-wide objectives and goals in support of the ACPS Strategic Plan and the Local Plan for the Gifted.
This job reports to the Director of Advanced Academic Services.QualificationsEducation:
Bachelor's degree; Master's degree preferred.Certificates & Licenses:
Valid Virginia Department of Education postgraduate professional in secondary teaching license required, or the ability to obtain one, including an endorsement in gifted education or the ability to obtain one.Experience:
Five years of K-12 teaching experience and gifted experience; secondary gifted experience preferred. Essential Functions
- Works in unison with the Director of Advanced Academic Services to administer or assist with the administration of special AAS programs for screening, referral, identification, and placement of AAS students in cooperation with the school, student services, and administrative personnel to ensure equitable practices and policies.
- Implements procedures and processes to identify gifted and advanced students at the grades 6-12 levels, Young Scholars, and Governor's School.
- Provides regular and effective communication to internal and external stakeholders through the AAS website, newsletters, and division-wide communication outlets.
- Fosters communication, understanding, and public awareness of school division services to students receiving AAS services, including Young Scholars, Dull-Enrollment, Advanced Placement, and Honors services while dismantling systemic racism within these academic areas.
- Responds to inquiries from various sources (e.g., other teachers, parents, administrators, etc.) to resolve issues, and provide information and/or direction.
- Provides regular, school-based instructional support and professional learning to ensure gifted resources and instructional strategies are alignment with written and taught curriculum at the secondary level.
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents, and a variety of community resources to improve the overall quality of student outcomes and achieve established district-wide objectives and goals in support of the ACPS Strategic Plan. Including, disseminating information regarding current developments and teaching practices in the field that affords equity and diversity within gifted and advanced academics.
- Assists teachers in the improvement of instructional delivery and performance. Supports teachers and Honors, Dual-Enrollment, and AP teachers to assist them in implementing established curricula and/or individual student plans.
- Assists the Director of Gifted and Advanced Academics Services with secure data analysis focusing on AAS student- enrollment and distribution of students within the school division in adherence to ACPS policies, including disproportionality and underrepresented student groups and other selected information on AAS students.
- Participates in various meetings to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions.
- May perform other additional duties or tasks as designated by the supervisor.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Central Office Salary Range:
Teachers and Other Licensed Staff Salary Scale (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/hr/compensation/) Shift Type: