Part Time Recreation Leader II Permanent Position “ Preserving the Past, while Innovating our Future”
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead.
If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Permanent Part-time Recreation Leader II for the Out of School Time / Afterschool Program.
What we do and how we do it is driven by our 4 Guiding Principles:
- Aligning the work we do with our strategic plan
- Executing against our strategy and ensuring accountability for our results
- Promoting and encouraging a culture of leadership and ownership at all levels of the organization
- Promoting a culture of service excellence, creativity, and entrepreneurship
In pursuit of service excellence, the Recreation Leader II performs technical recreation work. A Recreation Leader II will lead, instruct and guide youth 5-17 years old from all backgrounds in arts and crafts, sports, games, music, drama, cooking, exercise, and field trips at an Out of School Time Program / Afterschool site. Our Recreation Leader II should also be available to work various hours, Monday to Friday, from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., and some evenings and weekends as needed. Enthusiasm, flexibility, and excellent communication skills are needed to be successful in this position.What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You will work to meet the recreation needs of our community. You will ensure that all activities are fun, safe, and orderly. You will have the support of and work under the direction of a Recreation Leader III, Recreation Coordinator, or Recreation Manager in planning a well-rounded recreational program. You will execute programming that meets the high standards of excellence.The Opportunity
About the Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities
- Plans and develops sport and recreation programs, drama, music, dancing, and arts and crafts programs in order to ensure that activities and events are made available in the afterschool program;
- Makes preparation for recreational activities at one or more sites on a particular date: opens site, sets up equipment, assures that officials and teams are there, ascertains that rules and regulations are followed, controls the crowd, stores equipment, and secures the site;
- Fills out incident/illness report forms and contacts parents as needed;
- Participates in staff meetings, in-service training, sessions, and workshops;
- Ensures all safety precautions and guidelines are followed.
- Performs related work as required.
- Manage buildings or fields during sporting events that include practices or games.
- Work as a scorekeeper or field monitor.
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public space, cultural activities, and programming. City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks, and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.Minimum & Additional Requirements
High School Diploma and two (2) years of related experience or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. First Aid training.Preferred Qualifications
A background working with an at-risk youth population, experience working independently and as part of a team, experience working with individual and family services community and street outreach, schools, therapeutic recreation, youth sports programs and other support services programs. Strong writing and verbal skills.Notes
This position requires successful completion of a criminal records background check and drug screening prior to employment.