The Instructional Assistant-IV is a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) who strengthens and facilitates the educational process by assisting with the physical needs of students with disabilities. This support position is responsible for students who demonstrate a need for specialized nursing care and skills that require specialized training such as airway management. The Instructional Assistant-IV attends to the student's physical and personal needs; observes and documents student progress into the Electronic Health Record (EHR); implements plans for instruction under the teacher's supervision as time allows; and provides other duties necessary to support the individual student.
The Instructional Assistant-IV is accountable to the School Nurse for nursing care provided in the school.
Responsible to the Health Services Coordinator and the Chief of Student Services, Alternative Programs and Equity in matters of provision of health services in the individual school and collectively within ACPS administratively.
Responsible to the building principal and Special Education Case Manager in matters of education services and school building administration in the individual school.QualificationsEducation:
Successful completion of An accredited Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) education program.Certificates & Licenses:
Minimum requirement is a license to practice as an LPN with the state of Virginia. CPR, First Aid, and AED certification are required. If the selected candidate does not have CPR, First Aid, and AED certification, they must be able to obtain within 30 days of employment.Experience:
Job-related experience is required.Essential Functions
- Assists children with disabilities transportation to and from school, including but not limited to: assisting students on and off the bus or assisting with transportation via cab, if necessary.
- Assists children with nursing and health care needs (e.g., tube feedings, vital signs, O2 therapy), as delegated by the school nurse.
- Obtains proper medical equipment and supplies from student's family and notifies school nurse if further supplies are needed.
- Administers medications, complete medical procedures, and provides needed skilled nursing care under the supervision of the school nurse.
- Assists students with activities of daily living including but not limited to eating breakfast, lunch, and snacks, clean-up, elimination, clothing, personal hygiene, and wash-up. Monitors special education students (e.g., lunch, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.) to ensure a safe and positive learning environment.
- Confers with teachers, parents, and multidisciplinary care team members regularly to assist in evaluating special education student progress and/or implementing IEP/504 objectives.
- Implements behavioral plans designed by the IEP team or 504 plan for students with behavior disorders or other special conditions to assist in meeting special education students' needs and provide a consistent environment. Page 2 of 2
- Provides proper documentation of student activities and medical procedures in the Electronic Health Record and the Medicaid reimbursement record.
- Responds to emergency situations and resolve immediate safety concerns. Adheres to all infection control procedures, including proper handwashing, contact with bodily secretions, and standard precautions.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments, and/or materials under the direction of the teacher to provide an opportunity for special education students to participate in classroom activities to assist with meeting the objectives of the 504, IEP, IHP, or district benchmarks if time allows.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations as required.
- Assists other medical personnel in the completion of their work activities.
Public Health Compliance
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Central Office Salary Range:
$31,504.13 - $38,763.26 / Instructional Assistant IV Shift Type: