Costello College of Business Classification:
Education Support Spec 3 Job Category:
Classified Staff Job Type:
Full-Time Work Schedule:
Full-time (1.0 FTE, 40 hrs/wk) Location:
Fairfax Telework Friendly:
Yes Pay Band:
Salary commensurate with education and experience Criminal Background Check:
Yes About the Department:
The George Mason University School of Business develops career-ready graduates through interdisciplinary academic programs, experiential learning opportunities, and innovative business partnerships. As one of the nation's top research universities, Mason holds an R1 designation from the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education®. The School of Business is one of the largest business schools in Virginia, with over 4500 undergraduate and nearly 700 graduate students. The school is AACSB-Accredited and is the first and only business school in Virginia to earn the endorsement of the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), in recognition of its high educational standards. U.S. News and World Report ranks Mason No. 1 in Virginia and No. 13 nationally among public institutions for being the most ethnically diverse. A $50 million planned gift to George Mason University, the largest school naming gift in Mason's 51-year history, will name the School of Business in honor of Donald G. Costello in late fall 2023, pending SCHEV approval. About the Position:
Engages students in interpreting and applying George Mason University and the Costello College of Business programs and services, requirements, policies and procedures. Evaluates students' academic progress, provides guidance in determining students' academic interests and objectives and aids them to develop long-range academic and career plans. Provides academic advising for a large population of undergraduate business students. Develops quality programs to identify and support students' academic problems and career choice difficulties. Plans innovative and high-quality programs and events to enhance students' academic development and interests and to prepare students to meet today's job market demands. The Academic Advisor position is a full-time staff position with full benefits. While telework friendly, the Academic Advisor will be expected to come to campus weekly. Responsibilities: Student Interaction:
Educational Program Development and Planning:
- Provide in-person and virtual academic advising during the day and limited evening engagements in the environments of individual consultations, group events or presentations, and tabling, for both current and aspiring business students on such topics as major or minor choice, curriculum selection, study skills, scholarship and club opportunities, and other academic-related areas;
- Plan and implement academic-related events and perform outreach to business students for retention efforts;
- Develop online programs and workshops on academic planning, orientation, and academic status for academic development;
- Develop, disseminate, and maintain resources to assist students with academic planning and development of academic/career/professional knowledge and skills;
- Coordinate complex activities to support student academic planning; and
- Understand and implement proper use of rules and procedures concerning confidentiality.
- Create and manage student services program operations, establish goals, develop and implement methods to evaluate and assess program effectiveness, and modify policies and procedures to enhance the overall efficiency of the office;
- Create and implement new initiatives, programs, and services to better enhance the overall experience of CCB students;
- Represent the Costello College of Business as a liaison to University offices or by serving on various committees across the University to maximize student retention programming efforts; and
- Support the planning, coordination and implementation of new student orientations, Global Engagement Scholars Program, and engagement and belonging initiatives for a diverse student population.
- Inputs individual student contact information into Salesforce database to provide immediate access for other advisors and consistent advising information for students;
- Writes appropriate notes summarizing important information concerning the contact;
- Utilizes the Navigate database to create and/or participate in campaigns for targeted outreach to select students;
- Manages availability within the Student Scheduler in Navigate to enhance the student experience for scheduling appointments;
- Utilizes Patriot Success database to assist with Mason's retention efforts;
- Utilizes Banner INB student information system to review student transcripts, records, course registration history, and entering course overrides; and
- Researches and responds to student inquiries by email.
Special Events and Projects:
- Provides feedback for updates to Costello College of Business online materials to reflect changes in policies and programs;
- Maintains student records utilizing Salesforce;
- Maintains open professional communication with faculty and administrators to share information and align academic services with the college's mission;
- Provides input on student request decisions and participate in appeals committee as asked;
- Provides accurate interpretations of policies and procedures for students, parents and faculty;
- Assists with processing of graduation audits, notifies students of discrepancies and follows up with them on options; and
- Assists with updates to orientation materials each semester.
- Creates and manages special events and projects as assigned by leadership in the Office of Student Success and Academic Services; and
- Assists the Director, Student Success & Academic Advising with programming initiatives for global engagement scholars' program and other new diverse programs within the Costello College of Business.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Academic advising experience;
- Ability to develop, implement and manage academic programs and services;
- Excellent organizational, communication and presentation skills;
- Team work, collaboration, networking and development;
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; WordPress; and in the use of the Internet; and
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently.
Instructions to Applicants:
- Master's degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated full time work experience in academia; and
- Working knowledge of student record database.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for Academic Advisor
; complete and submit the online application; and provide a cover letter and resume. Posting Open Date:
November 7, 2023 For Full Consideration, Apply by:
November 21, 2023 Open Until Filled?:
YesMason Ad Statement
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason's diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.Equity Statement
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.Campus Safety Information
Mason's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/