Col of Engineering and Computing Job Category:
Classified Staff Job Type:
Full-Time Work Schedule:
Full-time (1.0 FTE, 40 hrs/wk) Location:
Fairfax Telework Friendly:
Salary commensurate with education and experienceRestricted:
Yes Criminal Background Check:
Yes Financial Background Check:
Yes About the Department:
The Global Artificial Intelligence Innovation and Literacy (GAIL) Research team supports the Chief Digital & Artificial Intelligence Office (CDAO) Vision and Mission by performing research, development, rapid prototyping, and testing of AI/ML technologies, as well as accelerate AI/ML literacy throughout the DoD and other government agencies to include Partner Nations. About the Position:
The Financial Specialist will support the research efforts of the GAIL Research team in the College of Engineering and Computing (CEC). The Financial Specialist will provide financial analysis, budgeting, fiscal operations, and financial reporting. Responsibilities:
Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Prepare monthly financial reports for Principal Investigator (PI) that includes both sponsored research activity as well as center operation costs funded through indirect funding sources;
- Provide analysis of financial performance to PI and CEC leadership teams on a quarterly basis;
- Assist Portfolio Managers (PMs) and PI with monthly portfolio financial summaries consisting of all government contract and subcontract modifications, funding increments, expenditures, and financial burn rates for all projects;
- Provide PI and PMs with status of funds for awards, as well as provide project funding projections to include earned value analysis for subcontractors;
- Assist PI and Leadership team ensuring adequate funding availability by maintaining accurate records of expenditures, directing preparation of expenditure projections, and supports submitting timely requests for additional funding to the government; and
- Work with PI and CEC Research Administrators to create budgets and budget justifications that accurately reflect the effort and resource commitments of each proposal.
- In partnership with CEC Research Administrator, PI and Program Managers, ensure proper labor allocations for faculty and staff between projects and indirect funding sources;
- Assist with reviewing and approving financial transactions such as purchase card transactions, reimbursement requests, and purchase order requisitions;
- Review financial transactions to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures to include reconciliation of non-sponsored research orgs. Initiate request for any journal vouchers required to correct incorrect charges;
- Assist CEC Research Administrators with reconciliation of sponsored research funds and preparation of necessary correcting entries;
- Ensure fixed assets are properly inventoried, asset tagged and safeguarded in accordance with University policies and procedures. Assist PM and PI with government furnished property requirements as necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned by the PI to support fiscal management of the research portfolio.
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Considerable experience in a position performing financial analysis;
- Experience with budget development and reporting of financial results;
- Experience briefing senior leaders on financial results;
- Experience working with diverse populations;
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data into easily understood financial reports;
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal);
- Advanced MS Office skills in word processing, Excel, and PowerPoint; and
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial systems or software.
Instructions to Applicants:
- Bachelor's degree in related field;
- Substantial financial analysis experience;
- Experience working in a university setting;
- Prior experience with supporting sponsored research and conducting cost analysis; and
- Knowledge of Microstrategy and Banner.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for the Financial Specialist
; complete and submit the online application; and provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Posting Open Date:
November 6, 2023 For Full Consideration, Apply by:
November 17, 2023 Open Until Filled?:
YesA Force for Innovation in the Heart of Northern Virginia's Technology Corridor
The College of Engineering and Computing at George Mason University is comprised of the Volgenau School of Engineering and a new School of Computing. The College is a fast-growing force for innovation in research and education. Ranked nationally in the top 100 in both undergraduate and graduate education, the College boasts more than 10,800 students in 37 undergraduate, master's, and doctoral degree programs, including several first-in-the-nation offerings. Of the 305 full-time faculty who comprise the College, 97 are tenured, 66 are tenure-track, 90 are instructional faculty, and 52 are research faculty. As part of a nationally ranked research university, its research teams expended $65 million in sponsored research awards in the past year and has projects with over $120 million in current and anticipated awards. The College stands out for its leading research in areas such as artificial intelligence, data analytics engineering, cybersecurity engineering, biomedical imaging and devices, community-based healthcare, autonomous systems, 5G/Next G communications, systems architectures, computational biomedicine, advanced materials and manufacturing, sustainable infrastructure, and more. The College encourages multidisciplinary research and provides ample opportunity for faculty to work with other disciplines.
George Mason University is the largest and most diverse public research university in Virginia, with an enrollment of over 40,000 students studying in over 200 degree programs. Mason is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in a range of academic fields. It was classified as an R1 research institution in 2016 by the Carnegie Classifications of Institutes of Higher Education. Mason has campuses in Fairfax, Arlington, and Prince William. Its proximity to Washington, D.C. provides unmatched geographical access to a number of federal agencies and national laboratories. Northern Virginia is also home to one of the largest concentrations of high-tech firms in the nation, providing excellent opportunities for interaction with industry. The region is consistently rated as being among the best places to live in the country, and has an outstanding local public school system.
In conjunction with Amazon's decision to establish a second headquarters in Northern Virginia, the Commonwealth of Virginia announced a multi-year plan to invest in the growth of degree programs in computing. George Mason University has committed to accelerate its plans to grow its capacity in computing and high-tech fields. Among the exciting initiatives being undertaken by the university are the launch of the Institute for Digital InnovAtion, a university think tank and incubator to serve the digital economy, and the expansion of its Arlington Campus with a planned 400,000 square foot building that will house the new Institute for Digital InnovAtion. These initiatives reflect hundreds of millions of dollars in new investment by Mason that will rapidly elevate the university's already leading national position in computing and related areas.Mason Ad Statement
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason's diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.Equity Statement
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.Campus Safety Information
Mason's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/