Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Design Development Internship Program - Summer 2024Key Role Details
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.Basic Qualifications
- This is a full-time paid internship program spanning ten weeks from June through August 2024.
- Participation in the internship requires that you are located in the continental United States with in-person attendance at your assigned location, in accordance with Capital One's hybrid working model , for the duration of the program.
- Interns will be evaluated for a full-time position within our rotational programs, with start dates six months to one year following the completion of the internship.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors or higher with an expectation that the most recent degree will be obtained by August 2025 or earlier
- Must be continuing in the same course of study of the most recent degree following completion of the internship
Design Development Internship Program - 2024
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors or higher in Interaction Design, Communication Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science (with Human-Computer Interaction focus), or in a design-related field or closely related discipline
- Graduate degree in Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or Design with experience as a UX practitioner
- At least 2 years of experience with standard digital design tools (Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure)
- Portfolio of UX/UI design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration
Do you want to change the way the world interacts with its money? Do you have a passion to work and learn alongside some of the best designers in the industry?
Then we want you!
As an Intern Designer on the Experience Design team, you'll work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers and business analysts to further our understanding of how people interact with their money. You'll find opportunities for change, advocate for the needs of our customers and lead design from empathy to iteration, delivering human-centered solutions to over 65-million customers.
You're a great fit for this role if you are:
- A skilled worker . You obsess over things like taps, content, and form fields to create experiences, services, and products that are deeply satisfying. You understand that in a landscape where behavior and expectations are rapidly evolving you always need to be asking why.
- Human centered . You have empathy for those you're designing for, and have demonstrable experience identifying, articulating, and incorporating user needs into your design decisions.
- A simplifier . You take the complex and communicate it - both visually and in presentations - as simply and clearly as possible. You're able to cut through the noise to understand what's important and inspire that clarity in others.
- A systems thinker . As you translate user needs and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems, you're not just thinking about the task at hand but also about how your design choices scale and fit within larger established systems and patterns.
- Collaborative . You enjoy working on agile teams with other designers, marketers, product managers, and engineers to collectively define the best solutions. You understand that it's more important to get there together than to shine.
- Passionate . You are driven to design beautiful experiences that impact people's lives. You make it your business to know as much as you can about the people you are designing for and stay up-to-date on the latest design trends and techniques.
- Have a can-do attitude . You're proactive and excited to produce awesome work. No task is too small or large for you. You are able to work alone or with partners to problem solve and develop clear action and execution plans for a task, keeping your manager informed of progress. You display a positive attitude and are excited to share your ideas with the team as well as listen to those of others.
- A storyteller. You're able to develop clear and persuasive stories about your work that you share with a wide range of audiences, including business partners and stakeholders.
- Detail oriented . You're proud that you've thought through every permutation of your designs, making the development process smooth sailing. Your production files are word and pixel perfect.
- Flexible . You know that projects can adjust at the drop of a hat so you're adaptable and welcome change.
As a part of the Design Development Internship Program, you will:
- Advocate for and be the voice of the customer in our design and development process
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, and other designers on research, strategy, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts
- Present research findings and design concepts with various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers
- Exercise our values of humanity, simplicity, and ingenuity throughout your work
- Translate user needs, style guides, technology and business requirements into elegant design solutions
- Participate as a fully empowered member of a diverse and passionate team, including other interns from design, development, and product management.
An ideal candidate would possess:
- Exposure to client management, including relationship building with internal and external partners
- Excellent problem-solving skills with an ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions
Here's what we offer:
- A fun and challenging role on an awesome team
- Mentorship with industry-leading designers
- Executive speaker series
- Regular networking opportunities with peers and executives
This is a paid internship.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).