Center 3 (19075), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Manager, Data Science - NLP
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We are not just a nationally recognized credit card issuer, a top 10 bank by deposit, but a high-tech company with products that reach tens of millions of consumers and have been recognized by numerous prestigious awards for their customer-friendliness. Capital One was the first major bank to move to cloud computing and to publish APIs for the Open Banking future. AI is transforming every industry. At Capital One, you will help shape how it transforms financial services. Team Description
AI Foundations Specialist Models Data Science team builds and ships state of the art scalable architecture, AI/ML solutions for Capital One's award-winning mobile app. We partner with product, tech and design teams to deliver app features that delight customers with dynamic and personalized experiences, enable them to chat with Capital One's digital assistant Eno, or search for useful contents. You will be the driving force to experiment, innovate and create next generation experiences powered by the latest emerging generative AI technologies. In this role, you will:
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Partner with a cross-functional team of data scientists, software engineers, machine learning engineers and product managers to deliver AI powered products that change how customers interact with their money.
- Leverage a broad stack of technologies - Pytorch, AWS Ultraclusters, Hugging Face, LangChain, Lightning, VectorDBs, and more - to reveal the insights hidden within huge volumes of numeric and textual data.
- Be the expert in Natural Language Processing (NLP) to harness the power of Large Language Models (LLMs), adapt and finetune them for customer facing applications and features.
- Build machine learning and NLP models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, and validation; partnering with engineering teams to operationalize them in scalable and resilient production systems that serve 80+ million customers.
- Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business goals.
- Customer first. You love the process of analyzing and creating, but also share our passion to do the right thing. You know at the end of the day it's about making the right decision for our customers.
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You're not afraid to share a new idea.
- A leader. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You're passionate about talent development for your own team and beyond.
- Technical. You're comfortable with advanced ML and DL technologies including language models and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience working with LLMs and solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- Influential. You are passionate about AI/ML and can bring along a cross functional team in breakthrough innovations. You communicate clearly and effectively to share your findings with non-technical audiences.
- You are experienced in training language models or large computer vision models as well as have expertise in one or more key subdomains such as: training optimization, self-supervised learning, explainability, RLHF.
- You have an engineering mindset as shown by a track record of delivering models at scale both in training data and inference volumes. You have experience in delivering libraries, platforms, or solution level code to existing products.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a Bachelor's Degree plus 6 years of experience in data analytics, or currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a Master's Degree plus 4 years of experience in data analytics, or currently has, or is in the process of obtaining PhD plus 1 year of experience in data analytics, with an expectation that required degree will be obtained on or before the scheduled start date
- At least 2 years of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 2 years of experience with machine learning
- At least 2 years of experience with relational databases
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Master's Degree in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) plus 3 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
- At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
- At least 4 years' experience in Python, PyTorch, Scala, or R
- At least 4 years' experience with machine learning
- At least 4 years' experience with SQL
- At least 4 years' experience working with natural language processing
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $197,400 - $225,300 for Mgr, Data Science
San Francisco, California (Hybrid On-Site): $209,200 - $238,700 for Mgr, Data Science
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
This role is expected to accept applications for a minimum of 5 business days.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).