Center 3 (19075), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Director, Ontology and Data Modeling
The role of the Director of Ontology and Data Modeling is to develop, implement, and maintain enterprise ontologies in support of Capital One's Data Strategy.
The Director of Ontology and Data Modeling, as part of Enterprise Products and Platforms, will be responsible for working collaboratively across Capital One Lines of Business and Functions to develop domain ontologies in support of enterprise initiatives. The Director of Ontology and Data Modeling will be responsible for partnering with Technology, Machine Learning, and other Capital One teams to support the development and integration of semantic technology into Capital One products and services.
The Director of Ontology and Data Modeling should be capable of supporting an emerging and evolving semantic program at Capital One, capable of clearly communicating and advocating the value of using semantic technology and knowledge organization concepts.
- Immerse yourself in knowing your internal and/or external customer(s) by employing empathy and design thinking to define broad-scale semantic solutions that provide breakthrough leverage
- Model adaptability by encouraging continuous evolution to semantic strategy in light of industry trends, emerging solutions, new insights and changing customer and business needs
- Learn the financial drivers, externalities, and points of leverage within your domain to identify new solutions or enhancements that drive sustainable value for Capital One
- Promote a culture anchored in data, used to model reality of intent and usage, validate outcomes, drive insights, and manage the business both tactically and strategically
- Foster a strong agile discipline and inspire teams to continuously improve delivery evidenced through key agility metrics
- Partner with Technology leaders to influence end-state architecture and drive secure, resilient, performant and scalable technology solutions that solve material customer and business problems
- Govern the responsible and efficient application of technology and modeling resources by assessing opportunities for reusing existing solutions, clearly defining minimum viable products, and always building/modeling with extensibility in mind
- Establish a long-term Semantics portfolio strategy, informed by customer and business needs, and partner with leaders and stakeholders to regularly drive alignment, secure resources and overcome impediments
- Attract, grow, empower, and inspire top Ontology and Data Modeling talent as they develop and deliver on their local strategy in an iterative, outcome-focused and well-managed way
- Intellectually Curious. You're comfortable navigating between the big ideas and executional realities to create an achievable strategic semantics vision. Comfortable with ambiguity, a hunger to learn and a seeker of new challenges.
- Communicator & Influencer. You're comfortable influencing a group of executives as well as communicating your semantics vision clearly to your associates and partners. You can be open to different communication styles and listen carefully to diverse sets of ideas.
- Do-er. You're biased toward action, and are willing to make commitments and trade-offs with other leaders to remove impediments for your team; you are a leader obsessed with delivering valuable in an iterative way focusing in minimum viable product
- Passionate & Customer Focus. You care about growing others and bringing them together around what's possible. You have a desire and ability to connect with our external or internal customers to fully understand their needs and build long lasting relationships.
- Learner. You have an appetite to learn new things or new technologies all while exhibiting humbleness when exploring unknown technologies; you will seek for internal solutions before building new
- Team Player. You enjoy working with diverse people and driving the team toward a common goal. You are also able to coach others and be a mentor in Ontology and Data Modeling.
- Bachelor's degree in information science, computer science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- At least 8 years' experience in a metadata field of work (ontology, taxonomy, semantics or computational linguistics)
- At least 8 years' experience or training in using W3C standards including linked and canonical data and ontologies ( JSON, XML, RDF, RDFS, OWL, and SKOS)
- At least 4 years' experience or training in ontology and linked data tools (Protégé, TopQuadrant, PoolParty, Stardog, AnzoGraph, Neptune, or Data.World)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Master's degree or PhD in information science, computer science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- 6+ years of experience translating business strategy and analysis into enterprise semantic solutions
- Familiarity with SQL or SPARQL
- Familiarity with graph databases and technologies
- Familiarity with Python or R
- Familiarity with JSON, OpenAPI/YAML, AVRO
- Familiarity with Agile principles, processes, and methodologies
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Detail-oriented and an ability to problem-solve independently
- Strong reading and writing skills
- Strong project management experience
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present ideas clearly and with confidence.
- Ability to work individually and with a team to meet deadlines
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $228,500 - $260,800 for Director, Ontology and Data Modeling
San Francisco, California (Hybrid On-Site): $242,100 - $276,300 for Director, Ontology and Data Modeling
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).