Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.
Westat is seeking a Principal Qualitative Researcher (Principal Research Associate) to focus on social science qualitative research projects for the federal government. The candidate should have a content focus in areas such as public health communications, survey methods, consumer motivations, risk perceptions, decision-making, and/or message testing with proven familiarity with qualitative methods (e.g., focus groups, in-depth interviews) and analytic techniques (e.g., NVivo).
This is a remote eligible role (U.S. based).
• Directing the design, execution, and interpretation of qualitative research activities.
• Presenting and writing about research findings to a variety of audiences to develop, improve, and evaluate communication materials and programs.
• Contributing knowledge and expertise in the social sciences for various research efforts.
• Building new relationships with agencies, business partners and universities to support current and future work.
• Writing and leading technical proposals for government clients.
• Focusing on business development activities with current as well as new clients
• Writing journal manuscripts as lead author.
• A PhD in social psychology, sociology, survey methodology, or social science-related field and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
• Experience supporting federal health agency clients.
• Proven experience writing and winning federal proposals.
• Demonstrated project management skills including budget responsibilities.
• Expert level NVivo experience.
• Demonstrated experience publishing manuscripts through the peer-review process and/or publishing in peer-review journals.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave (20 days per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 floating holidays)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.