Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Senior Counsel, Commercial Real Estate- Commercial BankSenior Counsel, Commercial Real Estate - Commercial BankJob Description:
The Capital One Legal Department is seeking a commercial real estate finance attorney to support its growing Commercial Bank. It is an opportunity to join an outstanding team at a Fortune 100 Company that is consistently voted one of the best places to work in the U.S. This attorney will play a critical role on a team of subject matter experts supporting our multi-billion-dollar Commercial Real Estate (CRE) business, a segment within the Commercial Bank that includes (i) permanent and construction financing for a broad range of project types, including multifamily housing, office buildings, and industrial facilities, (ii) financing for REITS and real estate funds, (iii) Agency financing, including Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and FHA/HUD, and (iv) bridge lending.
In addition, this role will assist in enhancing the legal infrastructure of CRE and driving consistency across CRE business segments. The successful candidate will be a strategic partner embedded within the business. The attorney must have outstanding legal and communication skills, an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of an innovative, sophisticated, and fast-paced business and the flexibility to simultaneously balance a wide range of transactions and projects. This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to work with an exceptional group of legal and business professionals in a dynamic environment.Responsibilities Include:
Our successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Advising the Commercial Real Estate lending business on a wide variety of matters
- Providing legal support to CRE as a trusted advisor and partner to the transaction teams and other internal partners, including asset management, servicing and operations
- Partnering with Agency Finance business partners, Risk and Compliance to evaluate GSE program requirements and develop policies and procedures for compliance, monitoring and reporting
- Track and manage negotiation of sub-servicing documentation in connection with Freddie Mac securitizations and assist with interpretation of sub-servicing obligations for existing securitizations from an asset management and servicing perspective
- Partnering collaboratively with other internal counsel and business teams in the Commercial Bank and across the enterprise
- Partnering with internal counsel and business teams on projects such as the development of form documents, negotiation guidelines and training sessions
- Partnering with the Commercial Bank's Risk and Compliance officers to ensure comprehensive support
- Partnering with the operations team to drive process improvements
- Working knowledge of commercial real estate finance and willingness to work on various types of commercial real estate lending transactions
- Experience collaborating on projects relating to form document development
- Demonstrated advocacy and oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact successfully with all functions and levels of associates, including senior management
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand the business needs and partner with the business, underwriting team, other members of the Legal Department and other constituents to create solutions and effectively deliver team results
- Ability to get issues resolved across organizational borders
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 4 years of experience in a law firm, in-house legal department, or a combination with a focus on commercial real estate financing transactions, mortgage secured real estate financing, construction lending, mezzanine loans or intercreditor arrangements.
- 5+ years of experience in a law firm, in-house legal department, or a combination with a focus on commercial real estate financing transactions, mortgage secured real estate financing, construction lending, mezzanine loans or intercreditor arrangements
- 2+ years of experience with Agency financing transactions
- 2+ years of experience with sponsor-backed finance transactions
- 2+ years of experience with loan syndications
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $195,200 - $222,800 for Sr. Manager, Sr. Counsel
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).