The Washington Post is looking for a Chief Subscriptions Officer to lead our subscriptions business. Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the CSO is responsible for developing and implementing mid- and long-term strategies to grow our subscription business. As a trusted advisor to the senior executive team, the successful candidate must build solid relationships and work effectively with leaders across the company, including editorial, engineering, client solutions, PR, marketing, finance, legal, HR, analytics, production and circulation. We are looking for someone who is passionate about building high-performing teams with scalable processes, and facile at working horizontally across the entire organization.Motivation:
First and foremost, you are a natural advocate for the consumer and their experience of our products. You believe in rigor, data, and methodology to define and target our customers, acquire new subscribers, improve retention and mitigate churn. You are a seasoned leader who understands organizational complexity, can navigate uncertainty and keep the organization laser-focused on growing subscriptions. You are a strong collaborator who can influence people and drive results across multiple functional areas. You love data and data-driven solutions. You value the mission of high-quality journalism and believe in the importance of bringing it to new audiences.Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive subscription strategy aligned with company objectives, including defining the total addressable marketing, detailing customer segments and needs, and cross-functionally outlining a strategy to address our customer needs.
- Act as the cross-functional team across the business, product, technology, and news/editorial teams, aligning goals, plans, and KPIs around our subscription strategy.
- Partner across the organization to develop a consistent data framework used across the company to measure success against the work. Evolve and maintain shared metrics and high-level insightful dashboards to foster organizational alignment, enhance decision-making, and provide a comprehensive view of performance and goals.
- Manage the budget and financial performance of the subscription business, ensuring cost-effectiveness and revenue growth.
- Lead subscription team efforts around pricing models, acquisition strategies, engagement work, churn reduction and subscription tiers.
- Lead efforts to acquire new subscribers through marketing and promotions, with a focus on customer retention strategies using data-driven approaches, all while ensuring consistent brand messaging and delivering exceptional customer value.
- Partner with technology and product to create personalized and engaging customer experiences that deliver value, gathering in-depth research and leveraging first-party data to tailor content and interactions to individual preferences and needs.
- Partner with the technology team to leverage CRM, subscription management systems, and other tools to optimize subscription operations.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations related to subscriptions.
- Lead, motivate, and build a high-performing team while fostering cross-functional collaboration across various teams.
- 10+ years of experience leading content-based subscription businesses and working in a creative, content driven environment; news media experience preferred.
- Experience leading cross-functional or highly matrixed teams and a proven ability to build relationships, influence, create alignment, establish priorities among multiple stakeholders, and deliver on KPIs.
- Deep knowledge of funnel marketing, as well as acquisition and retention strategies through mature and emerging channels and platforms.
- Demonstrated data excellence skills, including overseeing research, developing and implementing experimentation strategies, and creating KPIs.
- A deep understanding of subscriptions business dynamics and KPIs as well as the competitive landscape. Ability to spot trends early in the market and quickly reorient teams in response.
- Experience closely collaborating with or overseeing Product and Tech teams to drive improvements in business performance.
- Experience managing P&L required.
- A hands-on leader who can operate at all levels of the organization.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status. The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow