Are you a forward-looking compensation professional who can help us take our compensation programs to the next level? Reporting to the Director, Total Rewards & Global Mobility, you'll put your skills to work managing our day-to-day compensation processes and driving strategic-level programs to advance our goals of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.Motivational Fit:
- You are a self-starter who enjoys identifying a problem, researching options, and recommending a solution.
- You demonstrate sound judgment in dealing with internal clients and strategically choose between requiring compliance, providing customer service or applying consulting approach. You know how to deliver a difficult message and say "no" in a non-confrontational way.
- You are an effective communicator, be it writing a memo, presenting to groups, or preparing a visually convincing analysis for top management.
- You enjoy working with qualitative data (e.g., analyzing a job), as well as quantitative data (e.g., preparing a compensation trends analysis).
- You take pride in producing high quality, error-free deliverables while moving quickly and under deadline pressure. You can keep quality up whether working on mundane, repetitive tasks or strategic-level projects.
- You value the responsibility that comes with handling sensitive compensation information.
- Collaborate with HR and management to develop and maintain job descriptions, job classification systems, and salary structures. Evaluate jobs, create accurate job descriptions, and assign jobs to the appropriate salary grades, FLSA classifications and union jurisdictions.
- Assess the effectiveness and competitiveness of compensation programs by conducting data analysis, benchmarking, and modeling.
- Advise hiring managers and recruiters on competitive market positioning and internal pay equity by analyzing compensation data, including salaries, bonuses, and benefits.
- Process compensation- and job-related transactions, such reclassifying positions, processing job and compensation changes, and creating position requisitions.
- Participate in multiple salary surveys and track survey participation costs. Maintain and optimize the online market-pricing tool by monitoring integrations, resolving data issues, and managing vendor relationships.
- Administer annual merit and bonus processes, including budgeting, HRIS configuration and optimization, and employee communications.
- Conduct manager training on writing effective job descriptions and compensation fundamentals.
- Improve processes and tools by identifying inefficiencies in compensation plans, workflows, and Workday processes, researching options, and implementing solutions.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience in compensation or equivalent experience and education.
- Knowledge of principles and best practices in base and variable pay management, as well as laws and regulations.
- Proficiency in job analysis, job classification, and market pricing required; knowledge of formal job analysis methodologies is a plus.
- Prior experience managing compensation programs and data integrity; strong attention to detail and accuracy in data analysis.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proficiency using HRIS and market-pricing tools; experience with Workday preferred.
- PHR, SPHR, CCP or advanced degree (preferred).
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status. The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn't end in the Newsroom - dozens of teams power The Washington Post
. We are now hiring the next innovator - how will you Impact Tomorrow