Responsibilities & Qualifications
Under general supervision, performs Site Surveys, Installation/Deinstallation, Configuration, and Support of an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), Satellite Communications (SATCOM), Intranet and Internet, Wi-Fi, and other data communications systems or segments of a network system. Diagnoses and responds to technical control facility hardware and cabling (copper and/or fiberoptic) problems utilizing Test, Measurement, and Diagnostic Equipment (TMDE) such as Signal Generators, Power Meters, Signal Strength Meters, Time Domain Reflectometers, Spectrum Analyzers, etc. Requires strong knowledge of network communications hardware and cabling in a multiprotocol environment. This is primarily OSI Layer 1 (physical network infrastructure) type work. Specific Responsibilities:
- This is a "Road Warrior" position requiring TDY travel from one to three (1-3) weeks duration per task to various Government sites worldwide (CONUS and OCONUS). Travel is company arranged/paid and may be Government provided (i.e., MILAIR) in certain circumstances. Lodging is company arranged/and paid. Per Diem is paid at JTR rates.
- Works under general supervision supporting a project from inception to conclusion.
- Supports development of required specifications for simple to moderately complex problems.
- Expertise with current and anticipated network equipment; COTS 10 Gigabit Ethernet LAN and associated software and hardware equipment.
- Coordinates with the Task Order PM, Senior Network Engineers/Site Leads, and potentially user representatives to ensure accurate solutions and user satisfaction on technical matters.
- Planning, performing, and documenting assessments of network communications hardware for both the classified and unclassified DISN Services to ensure proper connectivity and operations.
- Preparing After Action Reports (AAR) and/or Trip Reports that document the approaches/actions taken, results, issues, recommendations and supporting rationale.
- Supports developing and/or implementing system evaluations methods and procedures.
- Producing formal documentation of recommendations for executive briefings.
- Ensuring interoperability between WAN (NIPR and SIPR) and network equipment and services
- Planning and tracking for implementation tasks.
- Creating necessary supporting configuration artifacts such as network maps, detailed designs, test plans, operations readiness test reports, device configurations, and maintenance processes and procedures.
- On-site fabrication and/or repair of standard cabling for communications hardware interconnection to include copper, coaxial, multipair, and fiberoptic cables.
- Cable testing using common/standard TMDE.
- Installation and testing of intra- and inter-rack cabling according to DoD standards.
- Installation and testing of AC and DC power cables and connections according to DoD standards.
- Installation and adjustment of cable trays and/or protective conduits either overhead or underfloor.
- On-site fabrication, installation, and/or adjustment of cooling/ventilation attachments to ensure proper cooling of hardware.
- Provides unfailing awareness of safety including accident avoidance, safety risk recognition and mitigation, and proper responses to safety risks and incidents.
- Experience dealing with Uniformed Military and Government Civilian personnel of various ranks is essential.
- Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with 5 or more years experience in Information Technology (IT) fields, or
- Associate's degree with 7 or more years experience in IT fields, or
- Military / Tech School with 10 or more years experience in IT fields
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressive IT experience including at least five (5) projects in the following technical areas (at least one project must have occurred within the past year):
- Support the installation, retrofit, upgrade of DoD Modernization of Enterprise Terminals (MET), Electronics Equipment Buildings (EEBs), and/or Restoral Terminals (RTs)
- Working with the SIPRNet, NIPRNet, DISN, LandWarNet, DREN and/or Digital Visual Information Systems / Video Teleconferencing / Audio - Visual Systems
- Tier I and II network communications hardware troubleshooting
- Installing, upgrading, and/or deinstallation/decommissioning of equipment racks, data cabling, conduits, and power cabling/connections.
- Experience in the following areas for the DoD or Federal Government Agencies:
- Network Systems (Fixed and Wireless)
- Intelligence Systems (Fixed and Wireless)
- Converged Systems (Fixed and Wireless)
- Satellite / Radio Systems
- Long Haul Communications
- Power (AC/DC)
- Must have minimum of Secret Clearance
- BICSI certified Installer 1, or higher, e.g.,
- BICSI certified Installer 2, Copper
- BICSI certified Installer 2, Optical Fiber
- BICSI certified Technician (Level 3)
- BICSI RCDD
- Top Secret Clearance highly preferred
- DoD 8570.01-M Baseline and Computing Environment Certifications such as:
- AIT-I or higher (e.g., Network+ CE, Security+ CE, etc.)
- Networking Certifications (e.g., CCENT, CCT, CCNA, etc.)
- Licensed electrician for up to 208 Volts AC and DC power
TekSynap is seeking a Network Support Technician - Part-time on call to join our U.S.-based traveling Network Installation Team.
TekSynap is a fast growing high-tech company that understands both the pace of technology today and the need to have a comprehensive well planned information management environment. "Technology moving at the speed of thought" embodies these principles - the need to nimbly utilize the best that information technology offers to meet the business needs of our Federal Government customers.
We offer our full-time employees a competitive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability plans, vacation time and holidays.
Visit us at www.TekSynap.com .
Apply now to explore jobs with us!
The safety and health of our employees is of the upmost importance. Employees are required to comply with any contractually mandated Federal COVID-19 requirements. More information can be found here .
By applying to a role at TekSynap you are providing consent to receive text messages regarding your interview and employment status. If at any time you would like to opt out of text messaging, respond "STOP".Additional Job Information COMPETENCIES
- Establish Focus
- Change Management
- Develop Others
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
- Interpersonal Awareness
- Build Relationships
- Analytical Thinking
- Conceptual Thinking
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Expertise
- Foster Innovation
- Results Oriented
- Customer Service
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Based anywhere in the USA, with a preference for the Cochise County, AZ area. Willingness and ability to travel both domestic and international are mandatory and essential.
- Type of environment: Working in various Government communications sites under various stages of operation / construction. May require Personal Protective Equipment such as hardhats, gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, knee pads, etc.
- Noise level: Medium sustained to occasional High.
- Work schedule: Per the customer requirements. May require up to 60 hours per week - but the typical is 40.
- Amount of Travel: potential for 50-70%
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, feel, touch; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 10 pounds. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 25 pounds; and up to 50 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE
Minimum Secret Clearance; preferred Top Secret Clearance OTHER DUTIES
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. TekSynap does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.