NYC 299 Park Avenue (22957), United States of America, New York, New York
Senior Manager, Community Finance - Underwriting, Portfolio & Loan Management
Capital One, a Fortune 500 company and one of the nations top 10 banks, offers a broad spectrum of financial products and services to consumers, small businesses and commercial clients. Our goal is to create one of the nation's great banks, and we have the necessary ingredients: a strong balance sheet, resilient businesses, a massive customer franchise, strong analytical capabilities, and great people. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared values, come together to make Capital One a great company - and a great place to work.
External Affairs works with many external and internal stakeholders to envision and create a world of greater socioeconomic opportunity through advocating for an inclusive society, building thriving communities, and creating financial tools that enrich lives. Our teams include Communications, Community Impact and Investment, Community Finance, CRA Strategy and Program Management, the Government and Political Affairs Group, Regulatory Relations, and Strategy and Engagement. Through our teams, we have unparalleled access to a diverse group of motivated changemakers similarly focused on the ingredients for a more perfect future.
The Underwriting, Portfolio & Loan Management (UWPLM) team is an integral part of Community Finance that is responsible for evaluating, managing and administering community lending and investments, primarily through proprietary and multi-investor Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) funds. The team partners with internal and external stakeholders to underwrite new affordable housing transactions, manage and administer the portfolio of debt and equity exposure, and ensure a scalable and well-managed business. The team endeavors to create an environment that supports efficient and impactful risk management in support of our mission to build inclusive, thriving resident-centered communities that catalyze opportunity and promote well-being.
Our ideal candidate possesses strategic thinking, strong presentation, influencing, analytical, verbal and written communication, relationship and risk management skills, as well as a high level of attention to detail and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. While serving in this role, it is expected that the incumbent will gain experience in all facets of departmental strategy and operations and proactively identify areas for process improvement. It is also expected that the incumbent will be a culture carrier and show initiative in maintaining a positive and harmonious work environment. This candidate will also be positioned to be a people leader, so passion for leading and inspiring a team to deliver great associate experiences is essential. As leaders, Senior Managers inspire, empower and promote belonging through the leadership, coaching, and mentoring of their direct reports. Primary Responsibilities: Leadership and Innovation:
- Lead across the organization to effectively manage risk, support new business initiatives and continuously well-managed processes
- Help craft a shared vision for the future, leveraging your expertise, leadership, and influence to provide clarity in complex situations, inspire breakthrough innovation and drive results
- Adopt an enterprise mindset in strategy development and implementation, considering both the internal and external landscape
- Proactively embrace and lead through change, with candor and optimism
- Evolve to meet new and emerging opportunities and challenges, including enabling a try/test/learn team culture
- Innovate and find efficiencies in the application of data and technology to support business opportunities
- Stay informed and demonstrate subject matter expertise, including attending and participating in industry workshops, conferences, etc.
- Foster an inclusive positive team environment of trust, collaboration, and effective challenge
- Develop, coach, and inspire associates to reach their goals, including providing timely, specific, actionable feedback, facilitating relevant growth opportunities and managing performance
- Appreciate, reward, and elevate great performance, in accordance with Capital One's values: Excellence and Do The Right Thing
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of the bank, its customers, portfolio exposure, competitive environment, economic trends and policies
- Partner with business and credit risk management to foster an environment of open dialogue around risk tolerance and credit appetite
- Promote appropriate application of all bank and line of business policies and procedures; support and drive adherence to regulatory compliance requirements
- Enable and maintain a well-managed environment while always looking to drive simple, scalable impact and durable results
- Encourage an atmosphere of urgency toward meeting customer's needs and providing excellent customer service
"We recognize that many life paths can contribute to interest in this role. We value all experience, whether gained in a classroom or through other paths, and invite everyone who meets the qualifications to apply for this role." Qualifications: Basic Qualifications:
- Lead the credit and investment review and approval process throughout the deal lifecycle with an enterprise mindset collaborating broadly with internal and external partners to ensure a well managed environment and the highest level of impact and service
- Independently identify and assess the risk profile of debt and equity investments and propose grounded solutions to ensure risk is mitigated and client objectives are met within appropriate credit, investment and regulatory guidelines
- Manage relationships with key market/industry influencers and clients; develop and maintain the company's relationships with customers, syndicator partners and influencers to expand business and impact
- Enable and maintain operational excellence; Coordinate the collection of data through deal life cycle for feedback loop to key stakeholders
- Oversee periodic reporting requirements
- Understand, and employ all lending, investing and regulatory/compliance controls, policies, and procedures of the bank and the department
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent certification
- At least 7 years of experience in business development, underwriting, or asset management in the field of affordable housing or commercial real estate, or a combination of the three
- At least 3 years of experience in people leadership
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Extensive credit, financial analysis and financial modeling experience
- At least 5 years of experience in LIHTC investment, syndication or asset management
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $172,900 - $197,300 for Sr. Manager, Community Finance
San Francisco, California (Hybrid On-Site): $183,200 - $209,100 for Sr. Manager, Community Finance
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).