Center 2 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Senior Manager, Ontology and Data Modeling The role of the Senior Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling is to develop, implement, and maintain enterprise ontologies in support of Capital One's Data Strategy. The Senior Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling, as part of Retail Bank Product, will be responsible for working collaboratively across Retail Bank to develop domain ontologies in support of LOB initiatives. The Senior Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling will be responsible for partnering with Technology, Machine Learning, and other Capital One teams to support the development and integration of semantic technology into Capital One products and services. The Senior Manager of Ontology and Data Modeling should be capable of supporting an emerging and evolving semantic program at Capital One, capable of clearly communicating and advocating the value of using semantic technology and knowledge organization concepts. Primary Responsibilities
- Lead sourcing and synthesis of Data Standardization and Semantics discovery efforts turning insights into actionable strategies that will define the priorities for the team and rally stakeholders to the vision
- Own and prioritize the long-term (12-18 months) Ontology and Data Modeling roadmap to deliver on business outcomes, working closely with a cross-functional team to ensure that all the right resources are aligned to ensure that and your team will be successful
- Define KPIs for Ontology and Data Modeling, measuring and tracking to those measures, with an eye to adjusting and refining the roadmap as the data dictates
- Understand how ontology and data models fit into the larger ecosystem, anticipating impacts from changes in other parts of the business
- Work closely with tech leadership and architecture to understand the tradeoffs of technical decisions and how they impact Ontology and Data modeling as well as consumers
- Communicate and advocate the value of Capital One's efforts in ontologies, semantics, and standardization and proactively leverage relationships throughout the ecosystem to align to your vision and influence prioritization across partner teams
- Attract and retain top talent who can develop, implement and govern ontologies and optimized data models in consultation with stakeholders
- Coach and develop ontology and data modeling associates throughout their tenure at Capital One
- Contribute to data integration and mapping efforts to harmonize data with Capital One's upper and domain ontologies
- Maintain awareness of competitor and industry developments related to ontology use, knowledge organization, data modeling, and machine learning
- Understand and adhere to W3C standards related to ontologies, in particular RDF, RDFS, OWL, SKOS, and SHACL
- Champion standards, guidelines, and direction for ontology, data modeling, semantics and Data Standardization in general at Capital One
- Intellectually Curious. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea or follow an email chain for weeks to find someone with an answer. Comfortable with ambiguity, a hunger to learn and a seeker of new challenges.
- Communicator & Influencer. You can communicate complex ideas clearly regardless of your audience. Our team knows their priorities and why they're doing what they're doing. You always can rally associates to work with you.
- Do-er. You're biased toward action, you try things and sometimes you fail. You can get around roadblocks and stay focused on your goals. You're well organized, able to multitask and able to prioritize your work.
- Passionate & Customer Focus. You care about growing others and bringing them together around what's possible. You get a thrill from the journey of building and shipping products, and you have a desire and ability to connect with our external or internal customers to fully understand their needs.
- Learner. You have an appetite to learn new things or new technologies all while exhibiting humbleness when the time comes to ask for help.
- Team Player. You enjoy working with diverse people and driving the team toward a common goal. You have the ability to put the team before yourself and establish long-lasting relationships.
- Bachelor's degree in information science, computer science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- At least 6 years' experience in a metadata field of work (ontology, taxonomy, semantics or computational linguistics)
- At least 6 years' experience or training in using W3C standards including linked and canonical data and ontologies ( JSON, XML, RDF, RDFS, OWL, and SKOS)
- At least 4 years' experience or training in ontology and linked data tools (Protégé, TopQuadrant, PoolParty, Stardog, AnzoGraph, Neptune, or Data.World)
- At least 4 years' experience or training with SQL or SPARQL
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Master's degree or PhD in information science, computer science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- Experience translating business strategy and analysis into enterprise semantic solutions
- Familiarity with graph databases and technologies
- Familiarity with Python or R
- Familiarity with JSON, OpenAPI/YAML, AVRO
- Familiarity with Agile principles, processes, and methodologies
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
- Detail-oriented and an ability to problem-solve independently
- Strong reading and writing skills
- Strong project management experience
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present ideas clearly and with confidence.
- Ability to work individually and with a team to meet deadlines
The minimum and maximum full-time annual salaries for this role are listed below, by location. Please note that this salary information is solely for candidates hired to perform work within one of these locations, and refers to the amount Capital One is willing to pay at the time of this posting. Salaries for part-time roles will be prorated based upon the agreed upon number of hours to be regularly worked.
New York City (Hybrid On-Site): $195,200 - $222,800 for Senior Manager, Ontology and Data Modeling
Candidates hired to work in other locations will be subject to the pay range associated with that location, and the actual annualized salary amount offered to any candidate at the time of hire will be reflected solely in the candidate's offer letter.
This role is also eligible to earn performance based incentive compensation, which may include cash bonus(es) and/or long term incentives (LTI). Incentives could be discretionary or non discretionary depending on the plan.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).