Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is committed to building a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity, belonging and equity for all. We believe that our greatest strength draws on the different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives and experiences of our employees.Job Summary:
Westat is seeking a full-time Research Assistant to work in our Center for Transportation and Safety Research to support our multidisciplinary team of experienced researchers and subject matter experts who are building on the current state of transportation safety knowledge and supporting our clients' mission of maintaining safer roads and saving lives. Our Research Assistants support all stages of research study design, data collection and management, analysis, and report writing. Clients include federal, state, and local governments, as well as nonprofits, foundations, and vehicle manufacturers.
The Transportation team works collaboratively with Westat's clients to implement innovative research designs that explore a variety transportation and safety challenges including driver behavior and autonomous vehicles, driver distraction, situational awareness, vehicle technology and safety implications, human factors, occupant protection, child safety, pedestrian safety, and travel behavior. Westat research studies employ a wide range of novel and inventive approaches including in-laboratory testing, Level 2 autonomous and instrumented vehicles, multi-modal surveys, focus groups, driving simulators, observational surveys, test track, and on-road studies.
This position has a flexible work arrangement to work 3 days onsite at our office in Rockville, Maryland and 2 days from your home office. Job Responsibilities:
• Support all stages of research study design, data collection and management, analysis, and report writing.
• Develop data collection instruments and protocols.
• Recruit and schedule study participants.
• Work with study participants.
• Collect data in driving simulator, laboratory, test track, and on-road settings.
• Assist with preparations for focus groups and large-scale field studies.
• Conduct reviews of research literature and synthesize information for the specified topic.
• Prepare data for analysis, including video coding, quality control review, and conducting preliminary analytics.
• Contribute to writing and preparation of reports and articles for publication/presentation.
• Contribute to business development and writing proposals.Basic Qualifications:
• A bachelor's degree in psychology, industrial engineering, human factors or related social sciences field required. Other Required Qualifications:
• Experience with MS Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
• Possession of a driver's license and a driving record in good standing.
• Occasional work on weekends and evenings required.
• Demonstrate strong written and oral communication and must be detail oriented.
• Possess effective time management and organizational skills.
• Be capable of problem-solving, taking initiative, effectively managing multiple tasks simultaneously, and work well in a fast-pace environment. Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience with:
o Statistical analysis software, including R
o Data quality control and cleaning
o Conducting literature reviews/environmental scans.
o IRB application and review processExamples of Recent Work
Using electronic devices while driving: Legislation and enforcement implications Transportation Research Board.
Automated driving systems' communication of intent with shared road users
Impact of information on consumer understanding of a partially automated driving system .
Salesperson knowledge of teen-specific vehicle safety features, Traffic Injury Prevention,
Reducing child restraint misuse: National survey of awareness and use of inspection stations: Traffic Injury Prevention: Vol 21, No 7 (tandfonline.com)
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Subject to plan requirements, employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave ( 15 days per year)
- Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Holiday Leave (7 government holidays and 2 Floating holidays)
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.