This is a non-status, non-permanent Personal Services Contract (PSC) position. This position does not provide Competitive or Excepted Service status into the Civil Service.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Incumbent will be subject to random drug testing.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit: www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
APPOINTMENT DURATION: Temporary Non-Status Contractor Position: 1 year renewable for up to 4 years.
This position is located in the Certification, Accreditation and Transit Security Branch, Physical Security Division, Office of Physical Security Programs, Countermeasures Directorate, Diplomatic Security, Department of State, Rosslyn, VA.
In this position, you will serve as Transit Security Specialist responsible for providing specialized technical and operational support for the secure shipment of cargo to U.S. diplomatic facilities overseas.
Telework: This is a telework eligible position.
Travel Required: 25% or less Domestic and overseas travel may be required for this position.
- Certifies, inspects and accepts secure cargo containers to be used in the shipment of controlled access area materials to overseas posts.
- Prepares cargo containers for secure shipment. Coordinates scheduled secure shipment certification with the shipper. Prepares detailed classified decertification instructions for the decertification official at post.
- Responds to inquiries regarding secure container decertification’s. Investigates transit security anomalies and issues based on decertification findings. Conducts cursory inspections of secure cargo at consolidation/receiving points for adherence to established security procedures.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements described below by the closing date of this announcement. If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service which provided the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience preparing detailed security instructions.
- Experience evaluating security standards for compliance.
- Experience resolving shipping and or security issues.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-11 position.
How You will be Evaluated:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume will be conducted to determine if you are qualified for this job.
Qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Knowledge of packing, shipping, and storage concepts.
- Knowledge of materials receipt, inspection and inventory control.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate data or information.
Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
The Bureau of Diplomatic Security has a program that allows personal services employees to be reimbursed for their health premium costs that they incur during their period of performance. The program pays 72% of the insurance premium cost (to the maximum limits set by OPM annually) for self, self plus one, or self plus family. To be eligible for the PSC Health Insurance Reimbursement Program, the PSC must be included on the plan and NOT be enrolled in any other form of group plan such as a spousal plan or a retirement plan. This program does not cover Dental or Vision supplements.
Personal Service Contractors entering on duty with prior qualifying service, as defined by OPM, may have their service computation dates updated to credit their years of applicable prior service for higher annual leave accrual rates. PSC leave accrual rates are explained in 3 FAM 9116.1.
Benefits for PSC’s in the Department of State are outlined in 3 FAM 9116.
- For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or OAA@state.gov.
- If eligible, telework and/or remote work agreements may be permitted with supervisory approval. Please note that any approved remote work arrangement is subject to the locality pay area of the alternative telework worksite.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
How to Apply: Submit a detailed resume. Applications must be received electronically by 11:59 pm on 11/20/2023. Your resume or application must clearly reflect the requirements of this position, if not your application may not be considered. Applications, which are incomplete, not received by the deadline stated above will not be considered. All materials submitted will become property of the Department of State. For any questions, please contact DS/EX/HRM at 202-793-2111.