Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history. All of your application materials, which may include PDF files of work samples and/or links to audio, video, photography or graphics, must be uploaded to the field labeled Resume/Cover Letter/Work Samples to be considered for the position.Job Description
The Washington Post is seeking an ambitious, accomplished and innovative journalist to lead Metro, an essential department in our newsroom with the mission of providing in-the-moment, captivating coverage of the region. Across the District, Maryland and Virginia, The Post aims to give its readers and subscribers critical, timely spot news and deep, rigorous accountability journalism while engaging them in understanding the people, events and trends in this unique and important community.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned and skilled editor who is energized by the prospect of leading a talented staff at a time of continued change and innovation, while overseeing a wide-ranging portfolio that serves some of our most loyal and engaged audiences. The department includes teams that cover local breaking news, beat reporters who consistently hold local governments and officials to account, an enterprise team that delivers resonant, deeply reported narratives and investigations, and journalists focused on visual storytelling.
Strong management skills, impeccable news judgment and experience fostering collaboration and embracing new storytelling formats are a must to successfully lead a versatile and diverse staff that frequently works with other parts of newsroom. A commitment to the critical importance of vibrant local news in today's world is vital, as is a vision for how to make Post journalism a daily habit for our local audiences.
Please consider applying if you meet most of the criteria below. Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- A minimum of 10 years of professional journalism experience, including as a manager.
- A record of success in driving a competitive daily news report across a wide range of subjects-bonus points if you have a track record of running impactful government accountability coverage.
- Demonstrated experience guiding reporters and editors through a period of innovation and change.
- Substantial experience in serving a digital audience, as well as a commitment to telling stories optimized for a variety of platforms, whether with text, visuals, graphics, sound or all the above.
- Demonstrated experience in leading large teams, as well as an approach to management that balances high expectations and impeccable journalistic standards with fairness and empathy.
- Experience in encouraging and facilitating collaboration both within a department and with teams elsewhere in the newsroom.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Extensive knowledge of the D.C. metro area is a plus but not strictly required.
This position is based in our Washington newsroom.
Interested applicants should submit a résumé and a cover letter outlining their vision for the role to our jobs portal. All application materials can be uploaded to the same field. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but those received by 10/22/2023 will be prioritized. The cover letter should be addressed to Executive Editor Sally Buzbee, Managing Editor Matea Gold and Deputy Managing Editor Liz Seymour.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
Ever wondered if what you are doing will Impact Tomorrow
? At The Washington Post
, every employee shapes the way we deliver the news. Find the career that's right for you