Arc XP (www.arcxp.com)is a cloud-based digital experience platform that helps enterprise companies, retail brands, and media and entertainment organizations create and distribute content, drive digital commerce, and deliver powerful multichannel experiences. A division of The Washington Post, Arc XP has powered the digital transformation of customers across the globe, currently serving more than 1,500 sites in 25 countries that reach more than 1.5 billion unique visitors monthly.
Built 100% on AWS, the Arc platform follows a microservice architecture. All of our software teams use dev ops to deliver and maintain products. Our processes are lightweight, which allows our teams to innovate quickly to bring new ideas to market. New features and products are deployed to our customer base every day.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to build React-based full-stack applications in a serverless AWS environment. You will work on PageBuilder Engine, Arc's website rendering engine, which powers more than 1,500 sites and provides a platform for client developers to build engaging and performant experiences for a variety of news, radio, and broadcast companies worldwide. As an Engine developer, you will work closely with our WSRE, Editor, and other Arc product teams to enable innovative experiences and ensure a cutting-edge experience for Arc customers.Motivational Fit
- You want to be a technical leader and individual contributor on a software engineering team.
- You enjoy sharing relevant technical experiences with your colleagues during code reviews and design discussions.
- You want to deliver high-quality, incremental improvements to customers on a regular cadence.
- You are comfortable collaborating with product owners to shape an engineering team's goals.
- You are comfortable working with remote/geographically-distributed team members.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Deliver state-of-the-art website rendering by collaborating with team members to design and implement serverless applications in React and Node.js.
- Help direct development priorities by providing experience-based insights during roadmap and technical-design discussions.
- Reduce ambiguity in technical direction by sharing ideas and experiences, and asking questions during technical discussions.
- Enable smooth cross-product integration with other Arc products by collaborating with other product teams' principal engineers.
- Ensure controlled and reliable delivery to customer environments by taking ownership of the CI/CD practices, such as automated builds, deployments, and tests.
- Stay current and help team members evolve and grow their skill-set by sharing recent/relevant development best practices and technologies with the team.
- Contribute to an Agile environment by helping break epics into manageable stories and tasks, and participating in story refinement, backlog planning, work estimation, sprint planning, retros, demos, and other Agile ceremonies.
- Prevent service outages by configuring and responding to to product application monitoring.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field (or equivalent practical experience).
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable customer-facing cloud-based applications.
- Experience with complex WebPack 4/5 configurations.
- Experience writing Docker build and compose files.
- Experience with continuous-integration tools and patterns-especially GitHub, Jenkins, and AWS CodePipeline.
- Experience leading technical design discussions and identifying development tasks.
- Experience guiding/mentoring less-senior engineers in their growth as technical experts.
- Experience working with React 18, functional components, and server-side rendering.
- Experience building web applications on AWS-especially AWS Lambda.
- Experience maintaining and extending code that is in use by third parties.
- Experience analyzing application and cloud environment performance.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development program
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status
The Washington Post includes salary ranges for certain positions to comply with local pay transparency laws. The salary range for this position is:
107,200.00 - 178,600.00 USD Annual
The actual salary within this range will depend on individual skills, experience, and qualifications as they relate to specific job requirements. This position may be eligible for a bonus or incentive program, and a member of the Talent Acquisition team will discuss bonus payment terms and conditions during the interview process.The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.