The EAEDM provides authoritative advice and direction in the refinement, implementation, and maintenance of an enterprise-wide data analytics strategy to provide actionable business intelligence to decision makers at all levels of the agency through the integration of disparate data. The EAEDM is also responsible for enhancing SSA programmatic policies and processes to incorporate data management processes and develop a roadmap to democratize data and promote use within the agency.
In addition, the EAEDM:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Supports the Associate Commissioner (AC) for Analytics and Improvements (OAI) in presenting the SSA's response to the Evidence Act and FDS before Congress, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and oversight authorities such as the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the Office of Inspector Genera (OIG). Provides technical expertise and facilitation across impacted stakeholders for execution of the action items defined in the annual FDS requirements.
- Develops and implements a portfolio of strategic use cases (including research and demonstration projects) for the FDS Action Plan and OMB Learning Agenda to produce insights and business intelligence. These projects will integrate disparate data sources and create easy-to-use data products or semantic layers that can be used within standalone reports or integrated into other analyses or applications.
- Identifies advanced analytic concepts, and related technologies, for future adoption and governance. Advanced analytical concepts include, but are not limited to, machine learning, robotic process automation (RPA), application programming interfaces (APIs), Artificial Intelligence (AI), and MLOps/AIOps. Coordinate facets of design, development, and policies in concert with SSA partners. Identifies, socializes and gains buy-in for future adoption of appropriate business use cases and proof of concepts to demonstrate these technologies' value propositions, as well as the governance structure for effective implementation and oversight to ensure agency data and AI technologies are safe, secure, equitable, and reliable.
- With oversight by the AC OAI, implements and oversees the Answers-as-a-Service (AaaS) program. AaaS is a collaborative framework, process, and internal knowledge base to answer critical business questions efficiently and consistently. It includes custom research projects, quantitative inquiries, policy effectiveness evaluations, and advanced analytics related to multiple datasets.
- Develops and participates in virtual and electronic forums for data practitioners to engage with each other, enhance knowledge and information sharing across SSA domains and communities of practice, and promote a data driven culture.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Selective Service Registration: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See www.sss.gov
- Background and/or security investigation may be required.
- Job offers are contingent on background / security investigation results.
- Federal employees must be in good standing.
- Federal employees must have a successful performance rating.
- Selectees may be required to serve a 1-year probationary period.
- All application materials must be received by the closing date.
- Official Personnel Folders will not be reviewed.
- Requests for copies of application documents will not be accepted.
- All application forms submitted become the property of SSA Human Resources.
- Selections for Senior Level (SL) positions are subject to concurrence by SSA's Executive Resources Board and approval by the agency head.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, candidates must possess specialized experience at a senior level (GS-15 level or equivalent) which demonstrates ability to perform the duties of the position, including progressively responsible experience directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (TQs) below, which includes extensive knowledge of data science and experience using data sciences to inform complex, enterprise-wide decisions. Typically, experience of this nature will be gained in a related field; in a position held for at least one year at the GS-15, comparable pay band or level above in the federal government; or comparable position with a state or local government, or private sector organization.
Applicants are required to address each of the mandatory technical qualifications (TQ) statements. Your responses must demonstrate possession of these qualifications, and be supported by your resume. Please provide thorough examples that are clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibility, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments, policy initiatives undertaken, and level of contacts. You will not be considered for this position if you fail to submit qualification statements specifically addressing each mandatory TQ requirement. Failure to meet any of the mandatory TQs will eliminate you from further consideration.
Each narrative must not exceed 2 pages per TQ and must be addressed separately.Mandatory Technical Qualifications (TQs):
- TQ1 - Demonstrated experience establishing and implementing agency/organization-wide, advanced data and analytics practices, such as Robotic Processes Automation, Machine Learning, Application Processing Interfaces, and/or Artificial Intelligence.
- TQ2 - Demonstrated experience leading the establishment, coordination, execution, and governance of a modern, enterprise data management program across a complex environment with diverse stakeholders in accordance with standard policies and directives.
- TQ3 - Demonstrated experience making decisions and providing expert advice to top agency executives on advanced analytics, data management and governance, and IT issues and policies to meet agency/organization-wide operational business needs.
Time-in-grade requirements do not apply to SL positions.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will only be accepted from applicants eligible for one of the following categories.
- Federal employees currently serving under career or career conditional appointments, or currently serving in a career SES appointment;
- Federal employees currently serving under the following types of appointments: Schedule A, Reg. 213.3102 (U) appointments for individuals with disabilities and time limited appointments for veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more;
- Former Federal employees eligible for reinstatement (i.e., those who have career status or separated from a career-conditional appointment less than 3 years ago);
- Current or former Federal employees eligible under the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); or
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) Eligibles (i.e., Preference-eligible veterans OR veterans who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous service).
- Federal employees serving under excepted service appointments with competitive service compatibility (e.g. Postal Service, Foreign Service, an agency with an interchange agreement, etc.) may be eligible to apply. Please visit Excepted Service Appointments with Competitive Service Compatibility for more information.
: Excepted service employees serving under Schedule A appointments for Attorney positions or Pathways Programs appointments (Presidential Management Fellows, Recent Graduates, and Interns) are not eligible for consideration. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
* This position is a Senior Level (SL) position in the federal government. SL employees are in non-executive positions whose duties are broad and complex enough to be classified above the GS-15 level. SL positions involve highly specialized and complex work. *LOCALITY PAY:
Locality pay is not applicable to SL positions. Salary will be set in accordance with agency SL pay setting provisions.OTHER NOTES:
This position is eligible for telework.
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This is a non-critical sensitive position. The selected employee will be required to complete a Standard Form 86, Questionnaire for Sensitive Positions, in order to have the appropriate investigation conducted, unless the employee has been previously certified eligible to occupy a position at this level.
This position is covered under the post-employment restrictions of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (PL 95-521). This law also requires the selectee to file an Executive Personnel Financial Disclosure Report (Standard Form 278) within 30 days of appointment.
The Social Security Administration provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be granted on a case-by-case basis.
The Social Security Administration provides equal opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, disability, or conduct not adversely affecting employee performance.