The AOC prides itself on its Core Values of Teamwork, Integrity, Professionalism, Pride and Safety.
We at the AOC have shared workplace values that influence the choices we make and the actions we take to do our work to meet our mission. Our values enable us to RISE
Tours of Duty:
- Respect - We treat one another with civility and kindness, so that we honor the value and dignity of all people.
- Integrity - We demonstrate honesty, ethics and reliability, so that we earn trust and do what is right.
- Safety - We are governed by the foundation of safety always, so that we can feel safe, make safe and be safe.
- Empowerment - We are one team seeking better ways to do our work, so that we all contribute to the success of the AOC.
MAJOR DUTIES: Duties quoted at WG-5 level; candidate will have non-competitive promotion potential to the WG-11. Installation, Repair, Inspection and Maintenance of Plumbing Parts, Equipment and Systems
- Sunday through Thursday 6:00 am to 2:30 pm
- Tuesday through Saturday, 6:00 am to 2:30 pm.
- Assists higher level pipefitters make repairs by removing, cleaning, replacing, packing and sealing defective parts of utility, supply and disposal systems such as dirty traps, sections of broken tile pipe and leaky drains.
- Assists higher level pipefitters with the installation of major 12-inch diameter steel pipe for fire hydrant installation and repair within the perimeter of the Library Buildings and Grounds and assists with installing, modifying and repairing utility sewer lines, water lines, disposal systems and fire extinguisher sprinkler heads.
- The position involves learning trade practices and skills as the proper usage of tools and equipment of the trade; the order of assembling parts and what tools and equipment are needed; how to read blueprints, sketches and technical manuals to understand the functions of the parts or systems, to plan and lay out work and to aid in finding faulty parts or systems; repair techniques to be used including methods used in getting the right fit or tolerances; how to make adjustments and calibrations; and how to rebuild and make parts.
- Receives TMA work orders, oral instructions and sketches that provide specific information on the work to be done, location of the work site, the kind of repairs to be made and the materials that will be needed.
- Assists higher level pipefitters complete needed repairs to install plumbing systems such as water heaters, disposal units, toilets and faucets.
- Follow all relevant safety rules, regulations and standard operating procedures. The incumbent must utilize knowledge of and must comply with all OSHA safety rules and regulations to ensure that work progresses in a safe manner. Provides or receives training, either on-the-job or through classroom training, to ensure that all safety practices and equipment are fully utilized. Uses required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Employees may require knowledge of hazardous (e.g. lead paint and solvents) and universal (e.g. lamps and batteries) waste management requirements to ensure compliance with environmental regulations in performance of duties (e.g. decide hazardous material is no longer needed and will be disposed, select containers for waste accumulation, add waste to containers, label containers, move waste to and from waste accumulation sites, manage waste accumulation sites).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be able to pass a drug test.
- Your resume and question responses must demonstrate job-related elements.
To be employed by the Architect of the Capitol in a paid position, an individual must meet one of the categories below:
- A citizen of the United States;
- A person who is lawfully admitted for permanent residence and is seeking citizenship as outlined in 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)(B);
- A person who is admitted as a refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157 or is granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. 1158 and has filed a declaration of intention to become a lawful permanent resident and then a citizen when eligible;
- A person who owes allegiance to the United States (nationals of American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Northern Mariana Islands, and nationals who meet other requirements described in 8 U.S.C. 1408); or
- A person who is currently an officer or employee of the Government of the United States.
You must meet all eligibility and qualifications requirements by the closing date of the job announcement.
SCREEN-OUT FACTOR: Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision:
- Performing basic mathematical operations such as: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and working with simple fractions to take measurements and make calculations needed to complete the task.
- Using tools common for the trade including: hacksaws, pipe wrenches, tape measures, levels, and square tools.
- Using a computer for communication, accessing information, completing work orders, and maintaining accurate record-keeping.
- Reading and interpreting written and oral instructions in order to accomplish the assigned work.
There is no educational requirement.Additional informationWelcome Veterans.
The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) gives veterans' preference rights in the legislative branch to certain veterans as applied by the Congressional Accountability Act. Veterans' preference is applied on this vacancy announcement. If you are a veteran and have been separated under honorable conditions, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility; SF-15, if applicable; and Department of Veterans Affairs documentation of disability, if applicable. For more information, please visit OPM vet guide If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System
. If you are exempt from registration under Selective Service Law, you must provide appropriate proof of exemption. Please visit the Selective Service System website for more information.
DRUG TESTING: The Architect of the Capitol (AOC) is a Drug Free Workplace. As part of the AOC's suitability assessment, a candidate tentatively selected for a position is required to submit to screening for illegal drug use. Satisfactory completion of a drug test is a condition of employment with the Agency. A candidate must test negative prior to being eligible for appointment into a position. We will schedule, provide, and cover the cost for the drug test.
The selectee(s) under the vacancy announcement for this position is subject to a criminal record check by the U.S. Capitol Police and satisfactory adjudication to be eligible for employment at the Architect of the Capitol.
The Architect of the Capitol is an E-VERIFY Participant. E-VERIFY is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment authorization in the United States. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the DHS Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" electronic system. For more information on E-Verify, please visit http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm
The Architect of the Capitol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, genetic information, sexual orientation, and/or disability.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Moving expenses are not authorized.
Relocation expenses are not authorized.Probationary Period-
Selectee(s) is subject to the completion of a one-year trial/probationary period, regardless of whether or not a trial/probationary period has been completed previously with the Architect of the Capitol or another Federal agency.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies in any of the jurisdictions of the Architect of the Capitol.
All application materials become the property of the Architect of the Capitol.