RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will design and constructs a variety of highly complex and accurate models, and devices from wide variety materials.
- You will conduct research on new materials and established techniques and procedures for their use in model making.
- You will consult with and advise Midshipmen, Trident/Bowman Scholars, and other academic customers regarding composites and woodworking technologies, processes, materials and fabrication techniques.
- You will prepare outlines of subject matter, and conducts laboratories/lectures about advanced composites and woodworking processing techniques for groups of students and academic customers.
- You will use composite materials (i.e., carbon fiber, fiberglass, high and low density foams and other materials).
QualificationsFor the GS-11:
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per the preliminary nationwide injunction on E.O. 14043, COVID-19 vaccinations will not be implemented or enforced. For more information on vaccine status and workplace safety protocol requirements see Additional Information below.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- The work may involve assisting or operating a forklift or motor vehicle.
- You will be required to complete training, obtain, and maintain a government credit card to make official government purchases for goods and services.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You may be required to wear personal protective equipment such as helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination
Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-10 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:1) Designing the construction of and/or personally fabricating various test devices utilizing architectural and aircraft drawings, sketches and /or oral information, designs; 2) Using composite materials (i.e., carbon fiber, fiberglass, high and low density foams and other materials) to fabricate highly accurate classroom and research models; 3) Researching new and current features of Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAD/CAM) software programs and applying those features to manufacturing processes.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/engineering-technical-series-0802/ and https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-TECH
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This announcement uses the Certain Personnel of the DoD direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.
Duties may require the incumbent to work other than normal duty hours.
This position may require exposure to high noise levels.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
If selected below the full performance level, you may be noncompetitively promoted to the next higher grade level after meeting all regulatory requirements, and upon the recommendation of management. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.Physical Demands:
Duties are performed while standing most of the time. Some lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds will be required. Must be able to climb multiple flights of stairs and ladders. Incumbent must be capable of safely working with chemicals and when necessary conduct operations requiring use of an issued respirator and hearing protection.Work Environment:
Work is performed mostly in well-lighted laboratories, classrooms, and/or lecture halls. Some exposure to hazards, such as high intensity ultraviolet light sources, Class IIIB and Class IV lasers, mineral oil and glycerin based smoke, engine exhaust fumes, cutting fluids and lubricants, wood dusts, fiberglass, carbon fiber, composites dust, and various other hazardous materials and other chemicals. The environment extensively uses epoxy and polyester resins which can trigger allergic reactions in those exposed to them. Protection devices are provided when machinery and equipment generate noise in excess of 85 db. The employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions, dust, dirt, unusual odors, humidity and occasionally uncomfortable temperatures. Accomplishment of assigned duties may require the incumbent to work other than normal duty hours. The work may involve assisting or operating a forklift or motor vehicle.