RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will assign emergency units to respond based on the nature of the call.
- You will obtain relevant emergency information (e.g., location of caller, type of fire, nature of medical emergency) for dissemination to appropriate personnel.
- You will maintain radio communication with responding emergency personnel and coordinate request for additional resources.
- You will coordinate with military and civilian agencies in response to mutual aid requests, in accordance with locally established protocols.
- You will screen incoming communications and prioritizes emergency/non-emergency calls and situations.
- You will perform crisis intervention with distraught emergency callers during hi-risk situations until emergency responders arrive on scene, in accordance with guidelines established locally.
QualificationsFor the GS-07 level:
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Generally, current federal employees applying for GS jobs must serve at least one year at the next lower grade level. This requirement is called time-in-grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- This position is considered Key/Non-Combat Essential. You will be required to provide immediate and continuing support of the expeditionary requirements in other than combat or combat support situations. .
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of Specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-06 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Operating electronic computer-based systems for emergency (Police, Fire, and/or EMS) dispatching management; 2) Operating multiple equipment/systems (i.e., Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, alarm systems, dispatch recording devices, multi-channel radios) during emergency situations; 3) Disseminating information from incoming callers during emergency situations; and 4) Effectively carrying out several tasks at the same time such as operating radios, telephones, and typing while efficiently communicating with the public, police, fire, and/or medical personnel. NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position.For the GS-06 level:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of Specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-05 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Operating electronic computer-based systems for emergency (Police, Fire, and/or EMS) dispatching management; 2) Operating multiple equipment/systems (i.e., Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, dispatch recording devices, multi-channel radios) during emergency situations; and 3) Disseminating information from incoming callers during emergency situations. NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
General Schedule Qualification Standards (opm.gov)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
This announcement uses the Defense Industrial Base, Major Range and Test Facilities direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to certain positions in the competitive service.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
Vacancies filled from this announcement may be filled at any grade level listed.
If selected below the full performance level, you may be noncompetitively promoted to the next higher grade level after meeting all regulatory requirements, and upon the recommendation of management. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours or rotating shifts may be required.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Incumbent must obtain and maintain Telecommunicator 1 and CPR certification within 90 days of entry on duty.
Incumbent must obtain DoD HAZMAT Awareness certification within 90 days of entry on duty
Incumbent must obtain and maintain APCO or IAED EMD certification within 270 days of entry on duty.
Incumbent is required to complete training and certify as a communications training officer (CTO) to provide on-the-job training to new hire personnel.
Incumbent is required to be certified as a CIC/NCIC/OPENFOX operator.
Retention in this position is contingent upon the successful completion and passing and maintaining of all training requirements outlined in CNIC Instruction 3440.18, Navy Dispatch Management
Incumbent is required to successfully complete the RDC Training Program to include classroom and On-The-Job Training (OJT).
The employee may be subject to verbal abuse during telephone conversations with members of the general public.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.