Minimum Qualifications: Education
- A high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate (GED) and completion of a Vocational or technical training program in an Elevator and Escalator maintenance.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in the Elevator/Escalator field doing maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
Preferred Medical Group:
- Any, one (1) or more, of the following:
- Certification from (NEIP) National Elevator Industry Education Program
- Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee or equivalent (JATC)
- Certified Elevator Technician (CET)
- Current MD,VA,DC mechanic licenses
- Valid Driver's License
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Elevator/Escalator Journeyman performs complex maintenance and repair tasks on elevators and escalators and troubleshoots related problems. The incumbent is assigned moderately difficult to complex elevator/escalator work in WMATA facilities and field locations and handles all normal aspects of the job, using all standard approaches, methods, procedures, tools and equipment. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Troubleshoots, repairs, replaces and installs a variety of elevator/escalator systems, components and fixtures.
- Repairs and overhauls defective components, operates devices to test performance, lubricates and cleans components and equipment. Makes major adjustments to functional components, devices, and control instruments and improves elevator/escalator reliability and performance.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance on elevators and escalators.
- Repairs electrical support equipment and responds to equipment deficiencies, determines problem(s) and repairs and restores the elevator/escalator equipment to serviceable status.
- Dismantles elevator/escalator units using hoists, ladders, and hand and power tools to gain access to components and machinery.
- Complies with all elevator, escalator and construction related regulations, laws and codes. Adheres to codes established by the National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) and ANSI/ASME.
- Performs assignments in accordance with established maintenance and safety rules, regulations and procedures. Adheres to codes established by the National Association of Elevator Safety Authorities (NAESA) and ANSI/ASME.
- Attends on-the-job and formal training classes.
- Maintains cleanliness of work area.
- Works variable days, shifts and hours as required.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Operates an Authority vehicle as required.
- Mentors apprentices and others as required.
- Assists in the replacement or installation of new elevators and escalators
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.