Duties***The BEP is currently in the process of having a new facility built in Beltsville, MD and expect to move to the new facility within the next 5 years. If selected, you may be sent and/or reassigned to the new Beltsville facility. By applying to this position, you understand this potential requirement.
The following are the duties of this position Plate Printer
. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this position.As a Plate Printer you will:
RequirementsConditions of Employment If you do not meet any of the categories listed above, you may wish to apply under announcement 23-BEP-341-P , which is open for any U.S. citizen to apply. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
- Make press ready to print in accordance with established Bureau of the Engraving and Printing (BEP) procedures.
- Install and position plates and/or chablons, secure and check materials needed such as paper, inks, rigging boards, wiper rollers, etc.
- Lubricate press as necessary, load press, make all adjustments of peripheral devices and attachments.
- Observe production of the press and make all single and multiple operating adjustments.
Requires climbing and prolonged standing, stretching, bending and reaching during the operations and maintenance of the press. Exposure to potential skin irritations from the inks and solvents used and there is inherent risk of injury involved with operating large machinery with many moving parts. Lift & carry supplies and materials weighing up to 50 lbs. Perform regular and recurring assignments requiring physical effort. Vision requirements are use of both eyes, depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors, near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4. Hearing required (aid permitted). Manual dexterity is required for the operation and adjustment of equipment and for the hand operations associated with binding and finishing activities. Must be extremely alert and attentive to work and equipment operations to ensure accuracy, detect equipment malfunctions and defective products, to avoid spoilage, and to ensure adherence to all safety requirements.AND
You must show in your experience in online application that you possess the knowledge, skill and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Key Requirements: Please refer to "Conditions of Employment." Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying. Must be U.S. Citizen or U.S. National SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS:
A background investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for disqualification in the hiring process. The background investigation process conducted by the BEP is very thorough. Therefore, it is imperative that applicants exercise candor and honesty when answering background questionnaires, especially as it relates to arrest, employment, education, finances, illegal drug use, and/or other criminal history. Falsification discovered in security documents or during the background investigation process may result in an immediate negative suitability determination or immediate revocation of your interim clearance (if applicable).QualificationsYou must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must meet the screen-out element: Ability to Do the Work of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-Out)
, normally addressed at the beginning of the online questions. In addition, you must also obtain an average score of two (2) for the following elements for this position as addressed through the online question in order to be considered minimally qualified. Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Ability to Do the Work of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-Out)
- Operation of Printing Press
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional informationOTHER INFORMATION:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position. 1535 - Local 2 - Washington Plate Printers Union International Plate Printers, Die Stampers & Engravers Union of North America (Plate Printers - Intaglio)
- The facility typically shuts down annually between Christmas and New Year's Day. As such, all BEP employees must take leave for work days during the shutdown period.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
- Public Trust - Background Investigation will be required.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Pass a pre-employment physical examination.
- Wear required safety clothing and/or equipment required by the position. This may include safety shoes, hard hats, hearing protection, gloves, masks, etc.
- Shift Work: This facility operates on a 24 hour per day, three-shift basis. Assignment to a specific shift cannot be guaranteed. The successful applicant must be available to work on all three shifts on a rotational basis.
- Weekend work and overtime, if applicable, will be scheduled when needed based on production requirements as determined by Management.