The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), Ecological Services (ES) has developed and is responsible for improving and supporting an extensive integrated system, ECOSphere. ECOSphere is a complex network of interconnected components in the Cloud, containing both custom and COTS software and data integrations, that work together in support of the mission of FWS and ES and that are designed to provide biologists and our partners with tools to help do their work and provide information to the public.Data Architect Job Duties:
The Branch of Data Integration Data Architect will play a crucial role in the development, support, and implementation of the ECOSphere Data Management Framework. The Data Architect will also ensure the data lifecycle is managed and supported effectively and securely, ensuring that all data integration projects are delivered successfully, and meeting Ecological Services business objectives and user needs.
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Strong collaboration skills
- A strong desire to work collaboratively as part of a dynamic and creative team.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proven effectiveness working on dispersed teams and supervising staff.
- Proven ability to offer creative software solutions to complicated and complex challenges.
- Ensure proper implementation of BDI data governance and security measures to protect our data and to ensure compliance with DOI/USFWS/ES/BDI security regulations.
- Collaborate with USFWS stakeholders to understand their reporting and analytical needs and to provide solutions that enable them to access and analyze data effectively.
- Lead other BDI data members and developers and provide guidance to foster a solid data architecture and a collaborative work environment.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Resume (See "Required Documents"). Failure to provide ALL required information on your resume will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all information is provided on resume.
- Eligibility and Supporting documents - You will ONLY be considered for the eligibilities that you select "yes" to AND submit the required supporting documentation, as listed in the Required Documents section.
- Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Driver's License: Selectees MAY be required to possess and maintain a valid State driver's license at all times during their tenure.
- Supervisory Probationary Period: Selectees who have not previously completed a supervisory probationary period, will be required to serve a one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period for this position.
- Notice of Financial Disclosure Report Requirement: This position is subject to a financial disclosure requirement and you will be required to complete either OGE Form 278e or OGE Form 450 as applicable within 30 days of your appointment
- Individuals assigned male at birth after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service. To verify registration visit SSS.gov.
Only experience and education obtained by 10/02/2023 will be considered.In order to qualify for this position, you must possess the Minimum Qualification. Minimum Qualification [GS-14] :
One-year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level. Examples of specialized experience include expertise in object-relational database management systems (PostgreSQL/MySQL), experience with data management frameworks, data strategies, data governance, data architecture, data integration, data lifecycle management, and metadata management, quality assurance control/review; provide guidance on policy matters pertaining to data management of information, data analysis, and tools to address environmental and conservation problems/issues; direct matters related to the data integration of data information systems related to fish and wildlife conservation (Endangered Species Act, Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act, and other natural resource conservation laws); provide project management oversight managing complex data and decision support systems. NOTE: Your resume must contain sufficient information in these areas to be found qualified.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. EducationThere is no substitute of education for experience for this position. Additional information PCS INFORMATION :
Yes, entitlements for payment of basic moving expenses, as required and to the extent allowed by the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) 302-3.101, are authorized for eligible applicants changing duty station when the change meets the distance tests as provided in FTR 302-1.1 and 302-2.6. All moving expenses are taxable.
- In addition, relocation discretionary entitlements MAY be authorized for this position including contractor-provided home sale.
This position is suitable for telework and may be allowed to telework with supervisory approval. Additional Vacancies :
One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) :
Department of Interior (DOI) Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) procedures apply in filling this vacancy. CTAP or ICTAP applicants must be determined to be well-qualified for this position in order to receive special selection priority. To be well-qualified, a CTAP or ICTAP applicant must meet the following: OPM qualification requirements for the position, all selective factors, where applicable; special OPM approved qualifying conditions for the position; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and receives a rating of at least 85 on the questionnaire. For more information visit: OPM's Employee Guide to Career Transition