Serves as the point of contact for customers on basic classification issues and refers more technical questions to a Specialist or the CCU Chief. Answers general questions from customers regarding processes for classifying positions, consultations, formatting questions, etc. Reviews incoming requests for re-descriptions, reorganizations, or establishment of new positions. Screens submissions for completeness and accuracy. Answers general questions from managers or employees regarding the classification process and filing any appeals. Presents training to supervisors and staff on the classification submission process. Researches files and assembles background information for Specialists. Assist customers with the Classification LEAF workflow system and provides support to the customers as needed. Responsible for providing technical guidance for all positions assigned.VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package: Total Rewards HR Assistant Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Compressed/Flexible:
This is a remote position. Position Description/PD#:
Human Resources Assistant (Classification)/
PD99981S Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:
Not authorized. Critical Skills Incentive (CSI):
Approved Permanent Change of Station (PCS):
Not authorized. Financial Disclosure Report:
Not required RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 10/02/2023.Time-In-Grade Requirement
: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-07 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-06. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade.Note:
Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
- Specialized Experience: Specialized experience includes but is not limited to possessing knowledge of classification standards to obtain and clarify facts related to position descriptions and functional statements to respond to requests. Recommending improved position alignment and determining the appropriate titles, series, and grades of assigned positions, in accordance with directives. Applying knowledge of classification rules, regulations, procedures and grading standards to prepare for audits, assists with projects, and reviewing appropriate standards and organizational structures, and provides system maintenance etc. Knowledge of standardized classification rules, procedures and requirements to explain and perform clerical work in support of classification actions, such as processing position reviews, maintaining files and logs, obtaining or providing position information, and resolving recurring administrative problems. Experience in current automated systems to retrieve and analyze information used to generate documents, records, reports, etc. Inputting and retrieving information for position descriptions, evaluation statements, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, reports, and correspondence. Knowledge of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and proper formats to prepare documents in final form. Ability to coordinate actions, develop facts, and/or provide support in order to respond to routine or standard inquiries concerning appropriate use of HR directives, policies or practices. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in order to respond to inquiries.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this position:
- Customer Service (Clerical/Technical)
- Information Management
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Note
: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Physical Requirements:
Work is sedentary in nature .
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/ . Education
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.Additional information
This occupation is currently approved for a Veterans Health Administration enterprise-wide Critical Skills Incentive through October 7, 2023. Candidates may be eligible for a lump sum CSI for a pro-rated amount if onboard prior to the CSI expiration date. Eligible candidates will be required to sign a service agreement agreeing to an obligated service period and failure to complete the obligated service period may result in a debt for the unearned portion of the CSI.Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave
: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. Selected applicants may qualify for credit toward annual leave accrual, based on prior work experience or military service experience. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.Special Employment Consideration:
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
(ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan
(CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal/VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified : applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the required competencies of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online or need an alternate method to submit documents, please reach out to the Agency Contact listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement.