RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Cook meals to support room service or in large quantities to support the dining facility and catered events.
- Staff's short-order cafeteria line, prepare high quality foods to order in a professional manner, and stocks food on line, without help between regular meal periods.
- Respond to room service orders as they are received.
- Prepare and plate items for delivery to rooms.
- Perform the preparation of regular and modified diet foods.
- Performs simplified tasks concerned with the preparation and cooking/reheating of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, cereals, eggs, soups, meat and meat products, gravies, sauces, potatoes or starch substitutes, and puddings.
- Operate kitchen equipment such as mixers, grinders, steam kettles, electric urns, fryers, grills, and other powered and mechanical equipment.
- Disassemble equipment for manual cleaning.
- Clean and sanitize equipment and work areas.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- Appointment may require a suitability/fitness determination.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons (documentation of exemption must be provided upon hire).
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an on call basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type situations, the incumbent is required to report to work or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Cook ~ without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform common food preparation duties. I can perform simplified tasks for the preparation and cooking/reheating of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables, cereals, eggs, soups, meat and meat products, gravies, sauces, fish, poultry, potatoes or starch substitutes. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Dexterity and Safety
- Knowledge of Materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Work Practices
- PHYSICAL EFFORTS: Requires continual standing and walking; frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. Frequently lifts or moves objects weighing up to 40 pounds unassisted and occasionally lifts or moves objects weighing over 40 pounds with the assistance of lifting devices or other workers.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: The work is performed in kitchen areas where the steam and heat from cooking and dishwashing equipment often cause uncomfortably high temperatures and humidity. The work area is well lighted, but usually noisy from food service activities and there is a danger of slipping on floors where food or beverages have been dropped. There is regular exposure to hot liquids, sharp cutting blades, hot working surfaces, and extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigerators or freezing units. Must abide by personal hygiene standards and safe work procedures such as wearing a hairnet or hat and a clean uniform daily.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives MAY be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.