The Planning, Program Analysis, and Evaluation Directorate's (PPAE) primary role is to build and sustain a mission-ready workforce within CBP through the development and implementation of best practices in assessment and evaluation, human capital analytics, business process automation and transformation, and strategic workforce planning. PPAE's innovative and technical workforce actively collaborate with stakeholders in HRM and across CBP to transform the human capital enterprise into an elite force multiplier worthy of the mission it supports.
As a Student Volunteer (Unpaid Intern), duties will depend on your major and the Program Office. The selected candidates will serve as a Student Volunteer (Intern) within PPAE and may be placed within one of PPAE's program based on the office's function and the student's major, skill sets, and interest. Below are some of the various opportunities:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Assisting with HR-related transformation initiatives, plans, and programs and advancing data-driven decisions and insights.
- Developing organization-wide strategic plans; the management of HRM's budget formulation and resource allocation processes; and the establishment and analysis of multi-year organizational performance metrics.
- Developing quantitative and qualitative methods to collect, validate, analyze, and display corporate data to aid in decision-making at all organizational levels (e.g., through use of Business Intelligence tools such as Microsoft PowerBI and Tableau)
- Streamlining and automating HR functions and processes through use of business process mapping and automation software (e.g., UiPath, Microsoft Power Automate) to ensure efficiencies, reduce costs, and provide quality service for CBP HRM stakeholders and external customer
- Support staff in the maintenance and operation of HR-related software and other information technology systems in areas such as cybersecurity, programming, analytics, and data management
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this position
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with Selective Service
- Primary U.S. residency for at least three of the last five years
- Must be at least 18 years old
- You may be required to pass a background investigation
- CBP follows the DHS Drug-Free Workplace Plan for drug testing procedures.
- You MUST submit academic transcripts demonstrating that you meet the eligibility requirements.
- If you do not submit sufficient academic documentation necessary to demonstrate that you meet the eligibility requirements described in this announcement, your application will be deemed incomplete, and you will be ineligible. Electronic transcripts are accepted
- Must be enrolled at least part-time at an accredited academic institution.
- Must maintain status as a current student in good standing during your volunteer opportunity.
This is a volunteer position and does not qualify for benefits.
This volunteer position does not confer any conversion rights to a permanent, competitive service position.