RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Your application will be placed into a pool of eligible veterans for evaluation and referral to selecting officials for hiring.
- You MAY be contacted by interested selecting officials and asked to interview.
- We will not be able to provide status updates other than the receipt of your application via an acknowledgement email from USAStaffingOffice@opm.gov
- You may update your application at any time until the closing date.
- This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies at any time without notification, in any series or grade. Typical job opportunities within SSA can include, but are not limited to, the following occupations:
- Acquisitions, Grants, and Contracts: Contract Specialists, Purchasing Agents, Procurement Analysts, Grants Management Specialists
- Administrative Support: Staff and Executive Assistants, Management Analysts
- Facilities and Physical Security: Physical Security Specialists, Safety and Occupational Health Specialists, Architects, Supply Specialists and Inventory Management Specialists, Mechanical, Industrial, and Electrical Engineers
- Finance and Accounting: Financial Management Analysts, Accountants, Budget Analysts, IT Specialists
- Human Resources: Management Analysts, Human Resource Specialists, Employee and Labor Relations Specialists, Equal Opportunity Specialists
- Information Technology
- Law Enforcement: Criminal Investigators, Auditors
- Legal: Legal Support, Legal Assistants, Paralegal Specialist, Paralegal Analysts, Paralegal Specialists (Decision Writers), General Attorneys
- Public Contact: Claims Specialists, Customer Service Representatives, Benefit Authorizers
- Maintenance: Plumbers, Pipefitters, Carpenters, Electricians, Motor Vehicle Operators, Automotive Workers, Utility Systems Repairer-Operators, Materials Handlers, Distribution Facilities Electricians, Maintenance Inspectors
QualificationsYou must meet the eligibility requirements for the following special hiring authority for veterans to be considered: Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA)
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Selective Service Registration, if applicable (www.sss.gov)
- Background and/or security investigation required
- Job offers are contingent on background / security investigation results
- Selectees are required to serve a 2-year trial period
- Relocation expenses will not be paid
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement
VRA allows for the appointment of eligible veterans without competition from non veterans. This hiring authority can be used for positions up to GS-11 or equivalent. Veterans are hired under excepted appointments to positions that are otherwise found in competitive service. After the individual satisfactorily completes 2 years of service, the veteran must be converted non-competitively to a career or career-conditional appointment.
Eligibility under the VRA hiring authority applies to any of the following veterans:
- Disabled veterans; or
- Veterans who served in active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; or
- Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the armed forces, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; or
- Recently separated veterans (within 3 years).
In addition, veterans must be separated from the Armed Forces under honorable or general discharge.
Applicants wishing to be considered for employment using SSA's competitive selection process may also respond to a specific job opportunity announcement listed on SSA's job opportunity page at: https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/Results?a=SZ00&hp=public&p=1 EducationProviding Proof of Education or Substituting Education
Some positions require proof of education or allow you to use your education to meet qualification requirements. For information on providing proof of education or substituting education for experience, visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=Group-Standards
If you are qualifying on the basis of education or satisfying an educational requirement, submit a copy of your transcripts that includes your name, the name of the educational institution, course title(s), number of credits, grade, and date of completion. Unofficial transcripts or screenshots of electronic/web transcripts with the required information will be accepted at the time of application. You must submit your transcripts according to the application submission details of this announcement. Documents will not be accepted via email or regular mail. If selected, you may be required to provide your official college transcripts prior to the effective date of the personnel action placing you into the new position.Foreign Education:
If your transcripts show education completed in foreign colleges or universities, you must also provide documentation that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in a conventional/accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. Additional informationSelective Service:
If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See www.sss.gov .Locality Pay:
Salary range show is the Rest of the US scale. Actual salary will be set in accordance with locality pay provisions. Please visit OPM's Salaries and Wages page for the locality area definitions and pay scales.Appointments under this program do not have promotion potential beyond the grade to which the applicant is initially appointed.
This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency. Decisions to grant reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.