RequirementsConditions of Employment
- As a Title 10 Faculty Member (Military Leadership), you will perform the following duties which is not an all-inclusive list:
- Present graduate-level resident and/or nonresident instruction to Command and General Staff Officers Course (CGSOC) students in Common Core, Advanced Operation Course, and electives curriculum.
- Counsels students and provides feedback on academic assessments and overall performance. Assists students in preparing and executing Individual Development Plans (IDP).
- Develops graduate-level curricula for both CGSS resident and nonresident programs.
- Serves as a subject matter expert to initiate curriculum changes, develop instructional approaches and work with other CGSS department members to ensure continuity and integration of course content.
- Contributes to the body of professional knowledge. Conducts research in topics related to the profession and writes articles for professional publication. Assists students in graduate level research in area of expertise
- Serves on various CGSC committees or working groups as needed.
QualificationsAbout the Position:
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation. Incumbent must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- The work involves physical effort typical of teaching positions, with substantial platform instruction, normally performed in classrooms and offices at Fort Belvoir or extended campus sites.
Serves a Title 10 Faculty Member (Military Leadership) for the Department of Command and Leadership (DCL), located at the Fort Belvoir Satellite site.
Current federal employees should submit a copy of their recent SF50.Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .MASTER'S REQUIREMENT:
possess a Master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a major course of study that is directly related to the position. (Note: You must submit a copy of your official transcripts.)-AND-
MILITARY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
This position requires the incumbent be an Intermediate Level Education (ILE) graduate and achieved Military Education Level 4; Joint Professional Military Education 1 (Command and General Staff Officer's Course or another sister service Intermediate level education course).
: You MUST
submit copies of your official college transcripts, certificate of completion, DD214 member Copy 4 showing the course under the education portion, or other documentation for the above course).-AND-
To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of specialized experience in adult education lectures, seminars, developing and revising course material, preparing and reviewing course syllabi, lesson plans for curriculum related to professional military education or experience in unified land operations as a plans and /or operations field grade officer. Experience would be gained in a service component, functional command or geographical combatant command level within the United States Military or an equivalent multinational headquarters abroad.DOCTORATE LEVEL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
This position requires the incumbent to obtain a Ph.D., or equivalent professional doctorate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a field appropriate to the position within six (6) years from entry on duty (EOD). Faculty hires that commit to completing a terminal degree will be assessed every two years and may
be reappointed for consecutive two-year terms, based upon evidence of satisfactory progress toward completion in six years. Failure to obtain a Ph.D within the required six (6) year timeframe will be cause for your removal from the position. NOTE: If you currently possess a PhD or working towards a Ph.D, please attach transcripts to your application.
Tested experience specific to the teaching position may be used in lieu of a Ph.D/terminal degree with the approval of the Deputy Commandant. Tested experience for this position includes a minimum of 20 years military service -and- Battalion/Brigade level command or Joint force/SMU equivalent, -or ACofS Gl, G2, G6 or G8 for an operational level unit.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Joint and Army Doctrine
- Experience in planning at the Operational Level of War at the field grade level
- Level of responsibility attained in the area of professional expertise
- Teaching small group facilitation, competency in curriculum development, competency in assessing graduate level work.
This position can be filled at one of the following academic ranks:
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
Academic rank and salary will be determined based on the selectee's education and experience.If you are currently serving on active duty:
You MUST submit a certification from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted for consideration in the hiring process. The certification MUST show the characterization of your discharge (Honorable, General, etc.). Prior to appointment, the service member's character of service and qualifying discharge or release must be verified through a DD form 214 or equivalent documentation. For more information about Veteran's Preference, OPM's Veteran's Guide - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals Education
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience and education alone--NO
substitution of education for experience is permitted.FOREIGN EDUCATION:
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This is an Education and Information Sciences career field position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction/ for more information.
- This position is eligible for situational telework only, including emergency and OPM prescribed "unscheduled telework.
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- Recruitment, relocation and/or retention incentives may be offered for this position.
- This position is not a bargaining unit position.