RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will be responsible for the operation of a Class II water treatment plant with a rated capacity of 3.17 MGD.
- You will monitor and control the water treatment process that includes; chemical addition; coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, Chlorination, filtration, pH control and Fluoridation.
- You will monitor and control the water supply and finished water-pumping operations.
- You will perform a limited amount of preventive maintenance including calibrating, cleaning, and adjusting equipment.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
- You will be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or fail the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- This position is considered Key/Non-Combat Essential. You will be required to provide immediate and continuing support of the expeditionary requirements in other than combat or combat support situations.
- Required to posses and maintain a government driver's license at all times. Government driver's license training provided by the government.
- Emergency recall and overtime may be required.
- Must be able to safely and properly wear all personal protective equipment including respiratory protection (respirator) required of the trade/shop.
- At the time of appointment the operator is required to possess and maintain an appropriate Water Treatment Plant Operators Certification, (Class I or II) from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupation Regulation.
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below: Ability To Do the Work of the Position without More than Normal Supervision in mo nitoring of water for domestic, fire protection, industrial and swimming pool use; securing, operating, maintaining, and repairing water treatment plant equipment; testing and operating potable and limited capacity pumps.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=List-of-Approved-Job-Elements
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This position is subject to work an uncommon tour, including nights, weekends, and holidays to meet mission requirements. Overtime or night differential pay and/or unusual duty hours may be required.
This position requires rotating shift work.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.