As the Public Affairs Specialist, the incumbent of this position is responsible for communicating the EAC's mission, work, and messaging through the media and for external audiences. This person will plan and implement media strategies and messaging to support and promote the EAC's goals and objectives.
The incumbent reports to the Director of Communications, who determines the overall objectives and resources available. The employee and supervisor collaborate to develop the approach, timelines and general framework for projects and, within these parameters, with the Director of Communications the employee plans and carries out the work involved in developing, maintaining, and managing media communication, coordinating with others as appropriate, interpreting and applying policy, determining the content and format for media communication, and consulting with the supervisor on questionable content or issues.
The Director of Communications assigns special projects and assignments, defining the nature of the assignment, objectives to be achieved, and resources available. The employee independently resolves most problems that arise, keeping the Director informed on unusual, sensitive or controversial matters. Completed work is reviewed for achievement of objectives and consistency with governing laws, regulations, policies, and the EAC strategic plan.MAJOR DUTIES
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Respond to requests from news media sources with the Director of Communications concerning agency operations while developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders, media outlets and government officials.
- Maintain knowledge of current events and news and synthesize reports and information for background and preparation for external engagements.
- Develops material that informs the public of agency operations, as well as disseminate information, obtain and evaluate feedback to inform leadership of public o pinion.
- Provides guidance, assistance, and consultation to EAC leadership regarding specific requests from the media or the general public, stakeholders, and community and governmental entities.
- Arranges news media briefings and staff principals during media interviews ensuring support and consistent messaging across the agency.
- Prepare policy statements, attend meetings and conferences, and arrange interviews with organization personnel, as required.
- Draft and place op-eds and opinion pieces for EAC principals.
- Develops tactics, such as scope, tone of content, and timing, to launch and sustain the agency's work.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Candidates must meet all qualifications prior to the closing date of this announcement.
Candidates must be a US Citizen.
This position is subject to a (1) year probationary period. QualificationsQualifications/Technical Competencies
Interpersonal Effectiveness: Skill in responding appropriately to a diversity of groups and individuals in a variety of challenging situations. Demonstrated ability to be tactful and to treat others with respect. Skill in developing networks, achieving cooperation , and collaborating with others when appropriate.Influencing/Negotiating:
Skill in influencing others to accept and implement recommendations and in building consensus. Ability to effectively resolve significant or controversial issues.Written and Oral Communication:
Demonstrated ability to clearly, succinctly and convincingly express facts and ideas both in writing and orally. Skill in listening and appropriately responding to the ideas, points of view, or concerns of others.External Awareness:
Skill in identifying, analyzing, and keeping abreast of legislation, policies, political, and social trends that affect the EAC and assess the impact to the agency's mission.Technical Competencies
- Experience working with members of the press and implementing strategic and proactive communications strategies.
- Ability to provide analytics and recommendations for effective media and communications.
- Ability to navigate media management software and disseminate information using this platform.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and techniques of written and oral communications. Skill in applying such knowledge to perform assignments involving public information, internal information, and community relations activities for internal and external audiences; develop written information materials for dissemination through a variety of media; determine and effectively use the most appropriate means for transmitting information and evaluate the effectiveness of the plans developed to communicate with targeted audiences.
- Skill and knowledge to develop innovative written communication materials such as news releases, feature stories, fact sheets, presentations, etc., and other products that effectively transmit information about EAC's programs and activities.
- Ability to speak to agency priorities and successes and respond to constructive criticism in a professional manner.
- Knowledge of information gathering and analysis techniques to gather, analyze, summarize, and report on election-related data.
Bachelor's or higher degree in a related field is preferred. Additional information
You must submit all required information by the closing date. If materials are not received, your application will be evaluated solely on the information available and you may not receive full consideration or may not be considered eligible.
The materials you send with your application will not be returned. Send only those materials needed to evaluate your application.
If you use public transportation, part of your transportation costs may be subsidized.