RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Perform a variety of duties associated with eliminating the potential asbestos and lead hazards at Aberdeen Proving Ground (AA or EA).
- Remove asbestos insulation; fabricates and installs other insulating materials on a variety of conventional and one-of-a-kind enclosures throughout the installation.
- Operate a motor vehicle to transport tools, materials, equipment, and self to work site.
QualificationsWho May Apply:
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment.
- This position requires attendance and certification in various EPA certification courses, Asbestos Abatement Supervisor/Contractor certification, and EPA/AHERA Inspector certification.
- This position requires the incumbent must be EPA and Maryland State Certified and trained in asbestos removal and Lead Abatement within one year of employment.
- This position requires the incumbent must also be an Accredited EPA AHERA Inspector within one year of employment.
- This position requires the incumbent must complete an accredited Lead Worker class.
- This position requires the incumbent must be able to pass an Asbestos Physical administered by Occupational Health Clinic.
- This position requires a current medical health card for Respiratory Protection Program and have a current respirator fit test.
- This position requires the incumbent must possess and maintain a valid State driver's license and be able to obtain and maintain an Army Motor Vehicle operator's permit.
- This position requires the incumbent must be certified to operate a Forklift up to 15000 lbs. and motorized lifts.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a one year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315.
Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible (PPP DoD MSP)
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element):
Ability to do the work of Asbestos Remover Mechanic - without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform the full range of complex maintenance and repair. The ability to Identify potentially hazardous conditions related to the control of asbestos fibers (as defined by OSHA & EPA).; performs a variety of duties associated with eliminating the potential asbestos and lead hazards.; Removes asbestos insulation; fabricates and installs other insulating materials on a variety of conventional and one of-a-kind enclosures throughout an installation. Operates a motor vehicle to transport tools, materials, equipment, and self to work site. Skilled in waste identification techniques and safe processing and packaging procedures.To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the selecting official.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision Screen Out
- Ability To Inspect
- Ability To Provide Production Support Services
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Dexterity and Safety
- Knowledge of Materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
Work requires walking, standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. Frequently lifts and carries parts and equipment weighing up to 40 pounds; occasionally handles items weighing up to 100 pounds with assistance.Working Conditions:
Works inside and outside, exposed to dirt, sewage, dust, grease, fumes, and refrigerant gases. Is subject to injury from use of hand and power tools, and to burns, cuts, bruises and electrical shock. May be required to wear and/or use protective clothing and equipment in accordance with established health and safety regulations and SOPs. Works outside and is occasionally exposed to bad weather while loading and unloading vehicle. Is subject to cuts, bruises, and broken bones as a result of accidents while driving or when loading and unloading vehicles. Is exposed to the possibility of serious accidents while driving in all types of traffic and weather. Some assignments require wearing protective equipment such as breathing protection; rubberized suits, goggles, or rubber gloves for extended periods.Education
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this position, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted. Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a(n) 29 Career Field position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.