Home Base Primary Care (HBPC) provides cost effective primary care services in the home and includes palliative care, rehabilitation, disease management, caregiver assistance and support, and coordination of care. Duties listed below, but not limited to:
- Demonstrates proficiency in decision-making and using the nursing process for complex situations that effect performance outcomes at the point of care.
- Demonstrates collaboration by using the group process to solve problems.
- Demonstrates critical thinking with efficiency and accuracy in assessing and managing situations.
- Demonstrates clinical expertise and leadership, utilizing problem-solving skills, in the development, administration and management of HBPC principles leading to improved care of patients.
- Acts as a consultant to all employees, supervisors, and hospital services regarding HBPC model of care.
- Demonstrates knowledge and abides by the HBPC policies and procedures in accordance with VHA and Medical Center policy, Federal, State and Local regulations, Office of Inspector General and The Joint Commission.
- Using the Special Populations Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) model for HBPC.
- Provides clinical leadership in assessing, planning, implementing, documenting, and evaluating HBPC patients to improve patient care.
- Consults with a variety of services, coordinating care to meet patient needs.
- Performs data collection and analysis for the purpose of improving care to patient groups, maximizing utilization of resources, and enhancing overall patient care.
- Possessing the knowledge and skills to communicate and interact appropriately and courteously with all internal and external customers, maintain confidentiality of electronic, written, and/or verbal patient/employee information, demonstrate working practices that include to safe use and operation of equipment.
- Safely and effectively uses patient care equipment.
- Determines the need for, orders, performs, receives, and interprets the appropriate diagnostic tests. Analyzes and synthesizes data from multiple sources to establish a differential and working diagnosis.
- Requests assistance from co-workers when needed; know when to ask for help.
- Documentation is consistent, accurate, concise, and timely.
- Investigates complex patient care problems and promptly seeks solutions/consultation and reports information to appropriate staff.
- Participate in meetings, works to identify, and improve Veteran care, and provides follow through with action plans.
VA offers a comprehensive total rewards package: VA Nurse Total Rewards Pay:
Competitive salary, regular salary increases, potential for performance awards Paid Time Off:
50 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year) Retirement:
Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA Insurance:
Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement) Licensure:
1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territoryWork Schedule:
Not Available Telework:
This is not a virtual position. Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:
Not Authorized EDRP Authorized
: Contact: Nicholas Camilletti at firstname.lastname@example.org, the EDRP Coordinator for questions/assistance. Learn more Permanent Change of Station (PCS)
: Not Authorized PCS Appraised Value Offer (AVO)
: Not Authorized Financial Disclosure Report:
Not required RequirementsConditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.Basic Requirements
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency. In accordance with 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), no person shall serve in direct patient care positions unless they are proficient in basic written and spoken English.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing ( ACEN ) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education ( CCNE ). The approving official may authorize a waiver of the requirement for ACEN or CCNE accreditation of any degree in nursing provided the college or university has regional accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education at the time of the candidate's graduation and the composite qualifications of the applicant warrant such consideration. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. OR The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6) OR In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement for graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Valid unrestrictive drivers license.
2 years Home Care or Long Term Care preferred (Not required)Grade Determinations:
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
Note regarding MSN degrees: If your MSN was obtained via a Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration, a BSN is not required.Reference:
VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements:
The HBPC RN Care Manager is required to meet the physical standards as outlined on the OF 178 Certificate of Medical Examination. The position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. The position requires periods of walking, standi ng, stooping, sitting, bending, lifting, pulling, and pushing. The RN may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing/equipment in isolation situations or with procedures. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as screening or testing, as a condition of employment. The environment's pace may vary from steady to fast paced, requiring handling of multiple priorities, frequent, sometimes intense customer interactions, and the ability to adapt to frequent changes. EducationIMPORTANT:
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note:
Only education or degrees recognized by the appropriate State agency and accredited by either: a) The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN); or b) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: ACEN - http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programSearch.htm CCNE - https://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE-Accreditation/CCNE-Accredited-Programs U.S. Department of Education - http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .Note:
If your school was accredited by Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) at the time of graduation but is no longer listed on the ACEN or CCNE website, you must provide documentation of accreditation with your application packet.Note:
If your school has changed names, or is no longer in existence, you must provide this information in your application.Additional information
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need an alternate method to submit documents, please reach out to the Agency Contact listed in this Job Opportunity Announcement.