Locations: TX - Plano, United States of America, Plano, Texas
Principal Associate - Experience Designer
This is a Hybrid position located in Plano, TX. Relocation to Plano, TX is required if you're not located in the Dallas, TX area.
The Design team at Capital One is at the forefront of enriching our customers' digital and physical experiences. We champion a thriving environment of collaboration, authenticity and healthy critique, in which we honor diversity of thought, create a culture of belonging, and elevate one another. If you're an innovator and storyteller who embraces an environment where you can experiment, learn, and change banking for good, we would love to hear from you.
We are currently seeking Experience Designers to closely collaborate with groups of technical software architects, engineers, product managers, and customer success teams to thoughtfully translate complex flows or processes into simple solutions that are easy to use.
These roles could be focused on internal and external users to Capital One. Example of Internal User focused work:
Building a web application that helps developers create new software to solve complex customer and business needs. Our tool helps teams setup environments, design the infrastructure of their application, automate builds, releases, and testing, and adhere to complex security, legal and risk requirements. All while building not just for new developers but creating a tool powerful enough for a seasoned veteran. It's a big, complex project that will have very positive impacts on the daily lives of our engineering teams across the company. Example of External User focused work:
Building applications and products that are focused on the many different stages of the Car Ownership journey. Applications (Native and Web) are focused on supporting Car Dealerships, their customers, those that are either paying off their vehicle loan with Capital One, or someone that is looking to refinance with Capital One.
Regardless of the project you would be working on, our ideal candidate has designed apps and/or software - at scale - and understands the different approach and mindset required to create applications compared to simple websites. Extra points to someone who understands what it takes to develop applications, and has had some experience writing code themselves. What You'll Do:
You'll be asked to handle a variety of responsibilities, including: Key Responsibilities
Collaboration & Connection
- Simplifying and translating complex business and software development workflows into easy-to-use experiences for a technical audience
- Collaborating with enterprise partners to create new interface and interactions patterns
- Creating consistent visual conventions across the application
- Working closely with product and customer success teams to gather and incorporate user feedback and feature requests into the interface
- Identifying and establishing design needs, requirements, and acceptance criteria
Discovery & Delivery
- Collaborating with software architects and engineers, product managers, and research teams to uncover customer and business needs - then translating them into intuitive and engaging digital experiences
- Participating in translating complex ideas into understandable concepts that evolve and enhance the product interface
- Advocating for the customer through human centered design methodologies, including: discovery, ideation, sketch sessions, and user testing
- Supporting design led workshops to engage and build alignment across different partners and teams
- Championing prioritization of design centered product enhancements grounded in research and analysis
- Connecting with design community peers by learning, sharing, and teaching
- Participating in hiring by reviewing resumes, conducting interviews and attending consensus
- Supporting early product definition by working with partners to facilitate discovery sessions that uncover customer pain points and opportunities
- Demonstrating familiarity with design tools to deliver concepts and enable successful collaboration across teams
- Contributing to style guides, iconography, and infographics that can be leveraged by teams
- Participating in end-to-end product design by:
- Working with researchers to understand customer needs and interpreting information into visual forms that are impactful and intuitive
- Framing problems, determining insights, and defining visual designs to serve customer needs
- Ideating, sketching, and delivering low to high fidelity prototypes
- Designing within existing - and creating new - standards to contribute to our internal design system, best practices, and guidelines
- Storytelling and presenting visual concepts to various stakeholders
- Creating high fidelity design assets for acceptance, development, and delivery to market in partnership with technology colleagues
At least 4 years of experience in User Interface design Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- Experience designing software or mobile applications, enterprise applications a bonus
- Experience creating responsive web layouts
- Experience designing for cross channel experiences
- Experience creating components and interactive prototypes in Figma
- Comfortable working with a variety of business partners and delivering outcomes
- Familiarity with design and prototyping tools, such as Sketch and/or Figma
- Familiarity with working in an established design system
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle and writing code
- Familiarity with product development from inception to release
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Capital One offers a comprehensive, competitive, and inclusive set of health, financial and other benefits that support your total well-being. Learn more at the Capital One Careers website . Eligibility varies based on full or part-time status, exempt or non-exempt status, and management level.
No agencies please. Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender reassignment, citizenship, immigration status, protected veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).