(1) Directs, monitors or performs overall maintenance, servicing, inspections and documentation for one or more aircraft. Work is performed in complex working conditions under time and/or mission constraints to include all weather and night operations. Works with, coordinates and oversees the work of subordinate aircraft mechanics. Coordinates and oversees the work of journey level workers in other trades working simultaneously on the assigned aircraft. Reviews, trains and prepares to perform battle damage assessment/repair. Participates in mission generation/regeneration operations. Directs multiple specialists in preparing aircraft for combat operations. Serves as the technical authority to advise on, inspect and approve all airframe, mechanical,electrical/environmental, avionics, engine and pneudraulic repairs on assigned aircraft. Works closely with the production control function to report current aircraft status, requests and coordinates specialist support for accomplishing maintenance exceeding sortie generation capabilities or time constraints. Controls and performs work assignments based upon priorities, workload, availability of parts, facilities, material and personnel. Assigns maintenance and repair functions to subordinate mechanics. Coordinates with production control to direct short notice availability of the aircraft to accomplish work on delayed discrepancies and other scheduled maintenance to meet mission requirements. Observes and inspects performance and work procedures to ensure compliance with applicable technical publications, directives and local policy. Accomplishes operational tests of aircraft systems and components. Directs and performs the ground movement of aircraft. Launches, recovers, parks and services aircraft. Performs end of runway inspection. Installs, removes, inspects and adjusts aerial delivery systems to mission requirements. Makes diagnoses and solves malfunctions of aircraft systems and components by utilizing a wide variety of complex state of the art computerized and/or non computerized diagnostic and precision equipment, by studying layout drawings, blueprints and wiring diagrams and by analyzing construction and operating characteristics of aircraft and their components. Performs or oversees maintenance such as troubleshooting, removing, repairing, replacing, rigging, aligning, cleaning, painting and corrosion control.
(2) Ensures aircraft documentation and Maintenance Information Systems (MIS) accurately reflect the airworthiness of the Aircraft. Provides technical guidance and assistance to flight crews regarding observed discrepancies and experienced in-flight characteristics and system malfunctions. Performs or assists in aircrew debriefing when required.
(3) Performs in-process and final inspection of aircraft and components undergoing repair, overhaul and/or modification to verify and certify by signature adherence to work techniques, procedures and quality standards established by applicable publications. Completed work is reviewed for adherence to maintenance policy independently to determine that the aircraft is prepared and safe for flight. Due to the nature of operations tempo, must make decisions on a wide range of matters that may involve changes to past precedents to ensure completion of the mission. Clears Red X symbols on aircraft forms, accomplishes or directs engine power runs, may taxi aircraft in accordance with applicable directives.
(4) Plans, develops and conducts training during the technician work week to a multi facet workforce comprised of from 3 to 8 assigned military positions. Training sessions are designed to provide instructions in techniques of repair and maintenance of aircraft and related equipment. Conducts and certifies Cross Utilization Training (CUT) of non WG-88XX series Aircraft Mechanics to meet mission requirements. Selects the appropriate instructional method, utilizing either formalized classroom or practical on-the-job method of instruction. Evaluates and certifies effectiveness of training by observation as the trainee performs the task(s). Determines experience and skill level of assigned personnel. Maintains Career Field Education and Training Plan (CFETP) for assigned members.
(5) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations, inspections, mobilization and command support exercises and Operations Other Than War (OOTW). May be required to perform such additional duties as structural firefighting, aircraft fire/crash/rescue duty, security guard, snow removal, munitions loading and handling, heavy equipment operation, maintenance of facilities and equipment or to serve as a team member on boards to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies. May be required to travel in military aircraft and drive military vehicles. May be required to participate in various periods of temporary duty away from place of assignment.
(6) Performs other duties as assigned. RequirementsConditions of Employment
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement. Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service. Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation. May be required to successfully complete a probationary period. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.QualificationsMilitary Grades
: One vacancy Enlisted E7 and Below. One vacancy E6 and below GENERAL EXPERIENCE
: Experience or training that has provided the candidate with the skill to remove and replace aircraft parts, accessories, and components, and to make adjustments and settings according to established specifications. Must be skilled in the use of hand tools and test equipment. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
Experience or training installing, adjusting, aligning, troubleshooting and functionally testing the various major and minor mechanical and pneudraulic systems on an aircraft during overhaul or modification. Experience coordinating the work of other mechanics, and scheduling maintenance to ensure completion of critical actions and optimum workflow. Must have the ability to instruct lower graded mechanics, military and other personnel in the disassembly and re-assembly of crash damaged engines, transmissions, gearboxes, hydraulic components, and fuel controls sufficient for the exhibit to be returned to its shipping container.Quality of Experience
- Length of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignments must be followed. The applicant's record of experience and/or training must show possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the position.EducationYou must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.Additional information
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( Register | Selective Service System : Selective Service System (sss.gov) ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .