Major duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Sets up cafeteria lines, steam tables, dining room tables, and side service stands with hot and cold food items.
- Receives meal orders and fills meal orders by placing uniform portions of food on customer/patient's plates.
- Breaks down and cleans assigned area when the meal is finished and return to food to the kitchen.
- Sets up dining room tables for service, place food and beverages on tables, and replenish items as necessary.
- Returns soiled trays and dishes to the dish room after meals.
- Delivers meal trays to the patient's bedside.
- Brews coffee according to the number of servings required.
- Assembles and tosses fresh fruit or green salads in quantity using prepared dressings and portions into standard serving sizes.
- Apportions other food items into standard serving sizes using the proper utensils and containers.
- Makes cold sandwiches using prepared ingredients and pack box lunches.
- Works in one or more functional areas of the kitchen such as food preparation, dish and pot washing, dry and refrigerated storage and receiving, and the serving line.
- Sorts, washes, peels, and cuts fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Operates and breaks down equipment.
- Performs heavy-duty cleaning throughout the food service and related areas.
- Separates food waste and trash from dishes, glasses, and spray arms for preventive maintenance of the dish machine.
- Removes inspection doors, strainer pans, screens and spray arms for preventive maintenance of the dish machine.
- Unloads delivery trucks.
- Stores sanitized dishes, glasses and silverware.
- Scrapes, soaks, scours, and scrubs the heavier cooking utensils.
- Moves heavy garbage cans when collecting and transferring trash from the work area to the disposal area.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Various shifts per service needs Compressed/Flexible Schedule:
Not Available Position Description Title/PD#:
Food Service Worker/PD99920-S, PD99921S, PD99920S, and PD15123A Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:
Not authorized RequirementsConditions of Employment
QualificationsTo qualify for this position,
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Pre-employment physical required
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP)
applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.RESUME REQUIREMENTS - Your resume must include the following information for each job listed:
-Job Title (for each position)
-Description of duties (be as detailed as possible)
-Month and year start/end dates (e.g. June 2018 to April 2020) of employment
-Full-Time/Part-Time Status OR the average hours worked per week.EXPERIENCE:
A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Federal Wage System Qualification Standards .SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT:
Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the Job Elements:
- Dexterity and Safety
- Interpret Instructions, Specifications (other than blueprint reading)
- Technical Practices
- Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Without more than normal supervision
- Work Practices
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Note:
A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The following will be communicated to applicants for VA employment in a testing designated position and will also be included in all VA vacancy announcements for such positions: All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drugs use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)
provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/ .Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave:
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .