As a IT Specialist (SYSADMIN)/Watch Officer, GS-2210-13, your typical work assignments may include the following:
Monitors program operations to determine the effectiveness of established procedures and known issues.
Assists with the daily operations of information systems life cycle enhancements to improve overall operational efficiency.
Performs network diagnostics to troubleshoot network problems.
Monitors the operation of a network to ensure hardware and software are functioning.
Documents issues, maintain logs, and compile data for reports and justification of recommendations
Monitors and troubleshoots the installation and integration of systems fixes, updates, and enhancements to ensure the information technology (IT) working environment functions optimally.
Identifies and assess the extent and operational impact of network and IT services disruptions and initiates immediate service restoration actions.
Utilizes ITIL best practices for the support and management of IT Service Management.
Identifies problems and use sound, independent judgment to generate, evaluate, and execute alternative courses of action for immediate mitigation of operational impact.
Tracks and reports the progress of IT service restoration.
Works with customers, colleagues, and management to determine approaches from methodology to techniques used in varied projects and assignments.
Provides timely, correct, and complete project statuses, including mitigation of unforeseen events.
Works with a team, able to work independently with little guidance to accomplish the stated goals and objectives.
Provides timely, correct, and complete operational statuses to leadership and team members.
Provides customer service in a high demand and stressful environment.
Conducts oral presentations and briefings to upper management and high level officials from outside organizations which may be controversial or require justifications to argue or defend recommendations. RequirementsConditions of Employment
QualificationsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national
- Selective Service registration is required if you are a male born after December 31, 1959.
- Subject to pre-employment and random drug tests.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Executive Office of the President will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- May be required to successfully complete a one year probationary period.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Status candidates must meet time-in-grade requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade level).
- This is a Mission Essential position. You will be required to ensure organization or facility continuity of operations and/or completion of tasks that are considered essential to the mission.
- This position has the potential to work 8 to 12-hour shifts, nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
All applicants must meet the qualification requirements outlined below to be considered minimally qualified for this position. The qualification requirements are in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Qualification Standards.ALL QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria listed below in order to meet the basic requirement for IT Specialist (SYSADMIN)/Watch Officer, 2210. For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.1. Attention to Detail
- Meticulous; thoroughly reviews and proofreads various IT related data/information; dedicates focus to accomplish tasks that are complete, precise, and accurate to a given IT situation. 2. Customer Service
- Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive IT services or IT products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess IT needs, provide expert technical information or assistance, resolve fairly complex or non-routine problems, or satisfy expectations; knowledge of available products and services; committed to providing quality IT products and services. 3. Communication
- Expresses technical information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing presentations; listens to others, recognizes potential miscommunication, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately. 4. Problem Solving
- Identifies IT related problems using a variety of materials or sources; gathers and applies technical information to determine accuracy and relevance to moderately complex problems; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives; makes decisions or recommendations that influence IT policies or programs and applies new developments to previously unresolved problems.-AND-TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower grade level or pay band in Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector.SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE
: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility comparable to the next lower grade or comparable pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:You may qualify at the GS-13 level, if you fulfill the following qualification requirement:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector that demonstrates 1) Familiarity of IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) methodologies for IT Service Management and Strategy to improve and resolve issues with email, network, and firewalls; 2) Developing, monitoring, and operating a wide variety of information systems while providing direct customer service for problem resolution or known issue resolutions; and
3) Working in a team setting to provide continuous support for IT services to include documentation, compilation of data, and creation of reports to support briefings and recommendations to upper management. 4) Leading incident/outage/problem management conference calls (Critical Information Requirements (CIR)); and 5) Developing and delivering oral and written communications regarding IT policies and programs.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Additional informationIf the position(s) are no longer needed prior to the closing date, this announcement may be closed early.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies as they become available for the next 6 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants must apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered: Cutoff date(s): 07/24/23, 09/4/23, 11/6/23 and 1/31/24. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 6-month period if needed.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements.Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA):
To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, you must be a preference eligible or a Veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.Active Duty Military Members MAY apply under this announcement due to the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act.
You must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions along with your application for Federal employment. A certification is a document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days from the date of application. If selected, appointment eligibility requirements must be met prior to the effective date of appointment.Males born after 12-31-59
must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs & Career Transition Assistance Programs:
These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp . For more information about ICTAP eligibility please review the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/federal-employees/ictap/ Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy Statement
: http://www.eeoc.gov/federal/index.cfm Employment Information Resources - Resource Center
: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Main_Page Non-competitive Appointment Authorities:
For more information on non-competitive appointment authority eligibility requirements:
- Person with Disabilities - Schedule A
- Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
- Special Hiring Authorities for Certain Military Spouses
- Other Special Appointment Authorities
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternative Application .