The Clinical Center Nursing Department service areas include Oncology and Critical Care (OCC), Neuroscience, Behavioral Health and Pediatrics (NBHP), Medical Surgical Specialties (MSS), Perioperative Nursing, Interventional Radiology, and more.The ideal candidate will have recent acute care experience in one or more the following specialties: Medical Surgical, Oncology, Pediatrics, Behavioral Health, Outpatient or Critical Care, Apheresis & Blood Services, Perioperative, PACU, or IR.
As a GS-0610-12 Nurse (Supplemental) your duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
RequirementsConditions of Employment
- Exercise the full domain of practice for the specialty of clinical research nursing including providing clinical care to research participants, supporting protocol implementation, data collection, continuity of care, human subject's protection and dissemination of clinical research findings.
- Utilize advanced critical thinking and nursing skills to assess, plan, perform, and evaluate nursing care for individual patients, their families and significant others, who are participants in biomedical research protocols. Care requirements are determined by the scope of study participation, the clinical condition of the patient and the requirements and clinical effects of research procedures. The impact of the research process on patient care is identified and communicated. Interventions are adjusted based on findings, and issues/variances are reported promptly to the research team. Evidence-based practice is incorporated into nursing practice.
- Support biomedical research through detailed observation, measurement, and accurate data collection related to pertinent assessment as defined by the protocol specifications and the nurse's clinical judgment. Accurately document observations, identify trends and important findings and effectively communicate this information to the multidisciplinary research team and nursing colleagues. Provide feedback to colleagues and investigators on all issues affecting the quality of the research endeavor, assist less-experienced nurses in learning the specifics of studies or protocols, evaluate patient trends in outcomes and compliance, and contribute to the design of clinical trials.
- Provide patient-focused nursing leadership within the interdisciplinary team and collaborate with team members to create and communicate a plan of care that balances clinical care needs with research needs and allows for safe and effective collection of clinical research data. Contribute to multidisciplinary conferences and activities regarding research participant care and protocol implementation. Delegate, guide and coordinate the work of nursing staff and support personnel.
- Provide independent direct patient care within competency scope to one or more of the following patient populations: Medical-Surgical, Oncology, Pediatrics, Behavioral Health, Outpatient or Critical Care.
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of a background investigation, verification of qualifications, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, and any other job-related requirement before or after appointment.
- Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements by the next established cutoff date as indicated below in the Additional Information Section.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Position requires Education - please provide transcripts.
- Selectee(s) are required to undergo a Pre-Employment Medical Screening.
- This position has the following minimum qualification requirements: nurse education, license and specialized experience.
- This position requires the incumbent to be able to lift and move items weighing up to 35 lbs.
- This position may require the following work shifts: nights, rotational, holidays, weekends.
- This position is designated as Tier-1 Emergency Essential. See Additional Information section for specific details on this designation.
In order to meet the Basic Qualification Requirements for a Nurse (Supplemental), GS-0610, you must: Have a graduate or higher-level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education , Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs , Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education , or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
NOTE: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools. License:
Possess a current, active, full and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. AND
You must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) or obtained licensure before the implementation of the NCLEX-RN. Individuals who have not passed the NCLEX-RN but meet all other qualification requirements will be subject to a comprehensive evaluation of both their education and experience prior to final appointment. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
In addition, to qualify for a Nurse (Supplemental) position at the GS-12 level, you must have at least 1 year of professional Nurse experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: Utilizing advanced critical thinking and nursing skills to assess, plan, perform, and evaluate nursing care for patients in biomedical research protocols; providing direct patient care to patients within their program of care; supporting biomedical research through detailed observation, measurement, and accurate data collection related to as defined by assessment or protocol specifications; accurately documenting observations, identifying trends and important findings, and effectively communicating this information to the multidisciplinary research team; providing feedback to colleagues and investigators on all issues affecting the quality of the research endeavor, and assisting less-experienced nurses in learning the specifics of studies or protocols; contributing to multidisciplinary conferences and activities regarding research participant care and protocol implementation; resolving clinical and operational issues in collaboration with supervisor and demonstrating decisions and actions that support the organization and research mission.
You will receive credit for all experience material to the position, including experience gained in religious, civic, welfare, service, and organizational activities, regardless of whether you received pay. Do not copy and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
This announcement covers multiple areas within the NIH Clinical Center Nursing Department: Inpatient Units: Rotating shifts (may include weekends, holidays, evening and nights)
Oncology Surgical, Medical and Transplant
Adult Behavioral Health
Pediatric Behavioral Health
Special Clinical Studies Unit
Blood Services/Apheresis Outpatient Clinics: Primarily Monday-Friday 7-4:30 with occasional extended hours
Hematology and Oncology
Medical Surgical Specialties
ENT Specialty Areas: (May include weekends and on-call)
Procedure Services, Endoscopy, Moderate Sedation
Day Hospital/Infusion Center (Oncology, Pediatrics, Medical Surgical)Care Coordination and Case Management
Preview assessment questionnaire before you apply: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11895684 Education
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education .Additional information
- This Open Continuous announcement establishes a list of qualified applicants to be considered for Intermittent Nurse (Supplemental) vacancies as they occur. The first list of eligible applicants will be sent to Hiring Managers on April 21st which includes all applicants who self-certify their eligibility by April 20th 11:59 PM (EST). Subsequent cut-off dates will be established based on the date a request for a List of Eligible Applicants is received from the Hiring Manager to fill a vacancy.
- This position is designated as an " emergency essential " position and the selected candidate will be considered an " emergency essential " employee and will be required to be available, ready, willing, and able to report for duty under all circumstances (e.g., inclement weather, government closings and holidays, lapses in appropriations, non-emergency and emergency situations) for operation 24 hours a day and 365 days per year coverage.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps should also apply online to this announcement in order to receive consideration.
- The National Institutes of Health participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program ( E-Verify ). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
- The NIH maintains a tobacco free work environment and campus.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Visit our Applicant FAQs page for helpful information on the application process.
- Visit our Total Compensation page and this sample for a detailed look into the benefits, awards, leave, retirement, and other incentives employees may receive as part of a rewarding work environment.