RequirementsConditions of Employment
- You will conduct hydrographic surveys including condition, pre-dredge, and post dredge surveys for dredging contracts; investigation of sunken objects, shoals, and other potential hazards to navigation.
- You will conducts topographic surveys for various complex and routine projects utilizing state of the art survey equipment including Total Station survey equipment, Global Positioning Systems, and side scan sonar system.
- You will prepare designs, drawings, cost estimates, and specifications for civil engineering projects.
- You will prepare technical reports on evaluations, studies, condition surveys, inspections, and economic alternatives.
- You will use AutoCAD and a variety of state of the art microcomputer software, including civil design software such as Land Development Desktop, to produce reports, charts, and/or graphs for use by the Navy and its customers.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Per the preliminary nationwide injunction on E.O. 14043, COVID-19 vaccinations will not be implemented or enforced. For more information on vaccine status and workplace safety protocol requirements see Additional Information below.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- You may at anytime be temporarily assigned to another site with the Naval Facilities Mid-Atlantic area.
- You will be required to wear personal protective equipment such as life jackets, helmets, gloves, coveralls, glasses, goggles, respirators and safety shoes continuously for the duration of the work shift.
- This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA). Certification in the Acquisition Functional Area and category assigned to the position is required within established category timeframes.
- You will be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, within 30 days of appointment.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain a current valid United States driver's license.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of Specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-10 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Performing hydrographic and topographic surveys to identify potential navigation hazards and to coordinate maintenance of equipment; 2) Applying engineering knowledge of drafting, surveying, estimating, engineering fundamentals, technical specifications, use of design manuals and handbooks, and high level mathematics and applied sciences related to the field of civil engineering for planning, design, construction, and maintenance of facilities and utility systems; 3) Experience in preparation of design contract documents and justification for a very wide range of civil engineering projects including dredging, site development, road and parking lot paving and striping, and storm water drainage improvements; 4) Independently read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications and technical manuals; and 5) Utilizing micro computers and application software to prepare cost estimates, job plans, specifications, fills of material, and schedules.GS-10:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of Specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent in the private or public sector. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Participating in hydrographic and topographic surveys; 2) Participating in preparation of design contract documents and justification for a very wide range of civil engineering projects including dredging, site development, road and parking lot paving and striping, and storm water drainage improvements; 3) Utilizing and interpreting engineering drawings, specifications, and technical manuals and; 4) Utilizing micro-computers and application software to prepare cost estimates, job plans, specifications, fills of material and schedules.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: Engineering Technical Series 0802 (opm.gov) ; General Schedule Qualification Standards (opm.gov)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Fieldwork will require considerable walking, bending, climbing, stooping, and carrying survey equipment. There will also be a significant amount of time spent performing hydrographic surveys on an open boat requiring lifting, hoisting, and maneuvering of equipment, cables, and line. Driving a motor vehicle while towing a boat and trailer and navigating a boat through busy harbors is required for fieldwork.
Work is in an office and field setting. Fieldwork may require surveying on roadways and parking lots as well as project sites in cold and hot temperatures. Hydrographic surveying will be performed on an open boat in a busy Naval harbor in all weather conditions. The employee must be continually aware of potential hazards and take special safety precautions including wearing of proper PPE, protective clothing, and life jackets when required. The remainder of the work is performed in an office setting. Education
This job does not have an education qualification requirement. Additional information
This announcement uses the Certain Personnel of the DoD direct hire authority to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.COVID VACCINATION INFORMATION:
To comply with the recent preliminary nationwide injunction on Executive Order 14043, Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees, the Department of the Navy is not taking any action to implement or enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. New hires will need to provide their vaccination status as well as comply with workplace safety protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
This position is eligible for part time, substantial or ad-hoc telework at the discretion of management.
A forty-hour work week is typical of this position. Overtime may be required; work prior to or after normal working hours, to include mission essential work on weekends or holidays.
Certain incentives (such as Recruitment, Relocation or Student Loan Repayment) may be authorized to eligible selectees.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
Vacancies filled from this announcement may be filled at any grade level listed.
If selected below the full performance level, you may be noncompetitively promoted to the next higher grade level after meeting all regulatory requirements, and upon the recommendation of management. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
Veteran's preference does not apply when selecting individuals under this specific hiring authority. However, if you claim veteran's preference, you will be required to submit supporting documentation with your application as described in the Required Documents section below.