This is an exciting opportunity to work in a senior programming position at Fairfax County Government, providing programming and operational solutions to the county’s public safety agencies, specifically Police, Fire/EMS, Sheriff, and 911.
Fairfax County is progressive in delivering automation and custom applications which enable first responders to make data informed decisions, greatly enhancing the delivery of services to the county.
Performs complex programming tasks utilizing the .NET platform, VB.NET and C# languages, .NET frameworks (.Net Core), SQL Server Reporting Services report, SQL Server database, and understanding of Agile process. Duties may include:
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Serves as advanced technical expert and/or technical team lead accountable for work of advanced complexity involving application and data development.
- Facilitates or leads major system/project initiatives with responsibility for multiple solutions, and manages IT project implementation efforts.
- Develops business solutions by performing all phases of systems development life cycle to include: identifying business requirements, analyzing, selecting or designing technical solutions, supervising the development of computer programs and procedures, programming code or configurations, testing, and conversion.
- Prepares and maintains systems development and operational documentation.
- Serves as team leader or supervisor of employees and/or contractor programmers, developers, data analysts and other members of assigned team(s). Span of technology assets associated with work includes platforms, software, tools, application development methodologies, and databases and/or web-based environments.
- Performs advanced systems analysis tasks and proposes complex solution design, and provides technical direction or advice to staff and/or contract programmer/analysts on a wide range of analysis work in the development, implementation, and maintenance of business applications, interfaces and data reporting: custom developed, commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) products and subscription service (cloud) solutions that may be on multiple environments.
- Build and maintain medium to complex solutions using Power Apps.
- Leads in the design and implementation of Data Warehouse projects (SQL Server DW, SSIS and Power BI)
- Assists with the preparation of specifications for RFPs and/or task orders, and serves on solution selection committees.
- Supervises the work of teams and executes applicable administrative and procurement processes.
- Evaluates staff and vendor performance and determines training and knowledge transfer needs.
- Maintains skills and knowledge of applications development practices, business applications, diverse platforms and architectures, and emerging technologies.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for "Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to")
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in information systems, computer technology, business, economics, or a related field; plus four years of programming/analysis experience, including one year of team lead or supervisory experience in a complex information systems or automated business environment.NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Five years of experience serving as technical lead on a project team with business practice knowledge in public safety disciplines or human services technology systems. Application design and development experience using IT and industry standard languages and environments. Experience with large, complex integration projects across multiple agencies' business areas. Demonstrated ability in developing and maintaining trust and solid working relationships. Ability to work without supervision and prioritize projects according to business needs.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov