Join the Park Authority and our nationally recognized team of professionals! Works a part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With more than 25,000 acres of parkland, nine RECenters, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level.
Supervises, schedules, and inspects the work of paid staff, volunteer athletic user groups, and contractors. Schedules and monitors the performance of lighting, irrigation, and other contractors. Inspects all Area 4 natural and synthetic turf athletic fields on a scheduled rotational basis to ensure that safety and playability standards are met. Inspects and coordinates the repair of irrigation and lighting on designated Area 4 athletic fields. Develops and implements site specific athletic field maintenance programs in accordance with FCPA standards. Conducts training and ensures compliance of paid and volunteer staff in accordance with applicable safety standards. Acts as the area manager or the parks and mowing manager in the absence of the incumbents. Serves as a point of contact for senior managers and athletic user groups regarding Area 4 athletic field maintenance. Operates a county vehicle as part of official duties. Participates on various committees and teams to develop and further the objectives of the FCPA. Completes required documentation and daily work reports. Frequently interacts with citizens and athletic field user groups. Normal working hours are 6:30 am to 3:00 pm, Monday - Friday, however, occasional weekend, evening and holiday hours may be required. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Positions are subject to transfer to other maintenance operation locations. Note: Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Note: This position is Emergency Services personnel and may be required to report to work during extreme inclement weather or other emergencies to fulfill emergency service duties. During unscheduled leave or administrative leave declarations by the County Executive, emergency service personnel are required to report for work. Reports to 10401 Burke Lake Rd. Fairfax Station, VA 22039, then will be deployed to various park sites daily. Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.) General Duties
- Plans, coordinates, schedules, supervises, and evaluates the operations and maintenance of the assigned facility or facilities;
- Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates staff;
- Plans, schedules, and conducts specialized on-site staff training;
- Completes and submits various financial, administrative, and statistical reports;
- Identifies, recommends, and writes justifications for budget components such as capital equipment submissions;
- Adheres to revenue and expense limits, goals, and guidelines for specialized areas of supervision;
- Authorizes purchase requests and invoices for payment;
- Inspects facilities and grounds for safety hazards and operational deficiencies, recommends improvements, and initiates corrective measures;
- Responds to public inquiries and concerns;
- Participates in the development and implementation of community outreach plans to target underserved populations and to increase overall program participation;
- Analyzes and evaluates service in terms of individual and community needs;
- Performs administrative functions at a facility, including budget preparation, recruitment of volunteer staff, maintenance of records necessary to the operation and evaluation of center programs, and report preparation;
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Plans, organizes, supervises, and schedules specialized activities and programs sponsored by the park, recreation, teen, community, or senior center in cooperation with residents and related agencies;
- Schedules, coordinates, and evaluates class, camp, and tour programs held at parks, centers, schools, government facilities, and private vendor locations;
- Coordinates and schedules sports leagues and tournaments;
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation center and /or park management;
- Knowledge of fiscal record keeping and inventory procedures;
- Knowledge of aquatics, grounds maintenance, horticulture, agriculture, cultural or historic resources, or other specialized area as appropriate for the duties of the position;
- Ability to use a personal computer, applicable software, and peripheral equipment;
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of subordinate staff and volunteers;
- Ability to plan, develop, and administer recreation programs or community activities;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with employees and citizen groups;
- Ability to prepare a variety of administrative reports;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from an accredited two-year college or university with an associate degree in recreation, park management, therapeutic recreation, or a closely related field; plus, two years of related experience in recreation center, park, athletic field, golf course operations, or community-based program coordination or a related field, as applicable to the position.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- At least three years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to direct, coordinate, lead, and supervise maintenance staff, volunteers, and contractors.
- Ability to plan, implement, and execute short- and long-term maintenance programs for a diverse group of athletic fields.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor outdoors, and to operate small and large ground maintenance equipment.
- Working knowledge of irrigation systems and synthetic turf maintenance.
- Experience with programming for lighting controls and scheduling.
Driver's license (required)NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Ability to lift 50 pounds and traverse varied terrain for 2+ miles outside. Able to perform normal equipment and grounds maintenance tasks. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov