Works as a part of one of the most highly regarded park systems in the country. With over 425 parks, 23,000 acres of parkland, nine RECenters, eight golf courses, three lakefront parks, and more, FCPA is an exciting organization to be a part of and there are many opportunities for staff to make a difference at every level. Under the supervision of the Maintenance Crew Chief, this position participates in a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled tasks such as litter and debris removal, snow removal, mowing and string trimming, infield maintenance, synthetic turf maintenance, fence repair, carpentry, painting, grading (drainage improvement), tree trimming, removal of downed trees, irrigation repair, asphalt and masonry repair associated with park maintenance as defined in maintenance duties. Leads the daily activity of other staff in the absence of the Maintenance Crew Chief and maintains daily logs of work performed, equipment maintenance and other required reports in the absence of the Maintenance Crew Chief. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Note:
This position is Emergency Services personnel and may be required to report to work during extreme inclement weather or other emergencies to fulfill emergency service duties. During unscheduled leave or administrative leave declarations by the County Executive, emergency service personnel are required to report for work. The position is located at 10401 Burke Lake Rd. Fairfax Station, VA 22039 Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Collects and/or disposes of refuse, yard debris, recyclables, and other solid waste materials;
- Assists with spill cleanup and traffic control onsite at the disposal facility as well as throughout the county;
- Clears sidewalks of ice and snow;
- Mixes and pours concrete for foundations or other construction repair work;
- Operates various types of trucks (e.g., dump truck, loader, flusher) for transporting equipment, tools, or crews to job sites;
- Cleans facilities, to include removing trash and litter;
- Loads and unloads trucks;
- Moves furniture, heavy equipment, and materials;
- Applies pesticides, fertilizer, and other chemicals under supervision of a certified pest applicator;
- Maintains and repairs grounds and turf (i.e., reconditioning, vegetation control, and repairs);
- Repairs irrigation systems (i.e., sprinklers, valves, and pipes);
- Performs various landscaping tasks, to include propagating beds, edging, mulching, and planting;
- Performs minor building and/or equipment repair and/or maintenance;
- Operates tractors and mowers, chain saws, or cutoff saws;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all- inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Basic knowledge of construction and maintenance of asphalt and concrete;
- Working knowledge of small equipment to include weed eater, push mower, power tamper, chain saw, concrete saw and gas generator;
- Basic knowledge of air compressors and pneumatic tools;
- Knowledge of and the ability to use and perform basic scheduled maintenance on various types of hand tools, machinery, etc.;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety practices;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to operate various types of motor vehicles;
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy manual labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees, and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Experience performing maintenance activities to parks using skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers, small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edgers, blowers, and walk-behind mowers.
- Experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment, such as mowers, tractors, and landscape equipment.
Driver's license (required)NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, driving record check, and pre-employment medical evaluation to the satisfaction of the employer.
Ability to lift 50 lbs. Ability to operate equipment. All duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov