Provides circulation assistance to library customers. Performs essential public service support tasks. Performs other duties as may be assigned to further the goals and objectives of Fairfax County Public Library. Note:
This job announcement will be used to fill multiple current vacancies and may be used to fill future vacancies. Current vacancies are located at the following branches:
Dolley Madison Library, 1244 Oak Ridge Ave, McLean, VA, 22101-2818
Pohick Regional Library, 6450 Sydenstricker Rd, Burke, VA, 22015-4274
Richard Byrd Library, 7250 Commerce Street, Springfield, VA, 22150-3499
The selected applicant's starting annual rate will be in the minimum to midpoint range ($41,509.52 - $55,345.68) of the advertised compensation range. Compensation rules apply per county personnel regulations for current Fairfax County Government and Fairfax County Public Schools employees. Schedule:
Scheduling flexibility is imperative. Standard hours may include day and/or evening hours to include weekdays and weekends as assigned. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the library.
To learn more about a career with Fairfax County Public Library, watch our video " Library Staff Share Why They Love Working at the Library
" Illustrative Duties
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position description.)
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Sorts, Shelves and shifts materials;
- Alphabetizes books on carts;
- Checks shelves to ensure books are in proper order;
- Responds to the needs of library customers at the circulation desk;
- Charges and discharges library materials; processes delivery and book drop returns;
- Issues library cards and maintains customer accounts;
- Informs customers of library services, policies, procedures, and resources;
- Resolves customer issues within established guidelines;
- Assists customers in the use of technology, e. g. copiers, printers, electronic materials;
- Refers customers to the information desk as appropriate;
- Retrieves and processes daily circulation reports;
- Assists with maintenance of the library collection.
- Assists with library support duties;
- May recommend reading materials to customers;
- May assist with outreach and other library programs.
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all-inclusive list.)
Employment StandardsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation;
- Ability to sort alphabetically and numerically;
- Knowledge of word processing and computer applications;
- Ability to operate the Library's automated circulation system;
- Ability to learn and independently use office equipment, including software suites and
- specialized databases;
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others;
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgment, and initiative;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written communications;
- Ability to promote library services;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in English with customers and staff;
- Ability to adapt to workplace change.
High school graduation or possession of a GED issued by a state department of education; plus, one of the following:
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Six months of full-time experience or the equivalent amount of part-time experience (i.e., two years as a 10-hour Page) working or volunteering in a library; or
- One year of full-time experience or the equivalent amount of part-time experience providing customer service.
None. NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:
The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and child protective services registry check to the satisfaction of the employer. PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Six months of experience working with and assisting the public in a library setting.
- Experience explaining policies and procedures.
- Experience working with automated library systems/software.
Ability to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to lift up to 15 lbs. Ability to perform repetitive hand, arm, wrist and shoulder movements. Ability to shelve materials at all height levels. Ability to stand for 2 hours at a time. Ability to stoop, bend, reach, squat, and kneel. Ability to travel to various locations throughout Fairfax County to provide coverage, attend meetings and trainings. Physical requirements are applicable to all duties. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book bins filled at 90% capacity, requiring 20 lbs. of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 10 lbs. after initial acceleration. Ability to push and pull 4-wheeled book carts filled at 70% capacity, requiring 14 lbs. of initial (starting) force, and a sustained force of 7 lbs. after initial acceleration. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. SELECTION PROCEDURE:
Panel interview; may include exercise
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others
) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity. Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov